My PC has all the sudden become slow

Tubben

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
I have a pretty decent computer and it has become slow within a matter of minutes. I was watching Youtube and then the screen dimmed to the point I could barely see it. It froze for awhile so I hard rebooted it. After the computer restarted it has been extremely slow. Youtube videos are almost in slow motion and are very choppy. I do not think my internet is to blame because I have 180mb/s. My computer is the Dell Precision M4600. Thanks for any help in advance!

Specs:
AMD Firepro M5950
Intel i5 2520M @2.5GHZ(Boost speed 3.2GHZ)
16GB RAM

Solution
Monitor CPU/graphics temps. You may have throttled to the point it went into a safe mode.

Could also be a charger going bad if it acts in a similar fashion when on battery power. I've had several Dell chargers crap out on me.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Monitor CPU/graphics temps. You may have throttled to the point it went into a safe mode.

Could also be a charger going bad if it acts in a similar fashion when on battery power. I've had several Dell chargers crap out on me.

Solution

Tubben

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

Ok thanks for the advice. Do you recommend any programs for monitoring temps? This computer has been plugged in for so long that it only lasts about 5 minutes on battery power, so if its the charger I can use a spare one I have.

Tubben

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

My CPU is at 135 degrees Fahrenheit and my graphics card is the same. Is this a pretty high temperature? If so what should I do?

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

Nope, perfectly normal. Try stressing it with that monitor open and see if you can encounter a slowdown. The right column has a "max" tab.

Tubben

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

Sorry to continue the thread but my computer has been running great up until tonight. I haven't been using my computer other than listening to music on it. It is slower than yesterday and my CPU and GPU are sitting at about 120 degrees Fahrenheit

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Strange. Is something in process manager pegging the CPU at a high percentage (with those temps, I doubt it)?

If not, it's throttling for some reason or another by the sounds of it. Either thermal (if it maxed out way above 200) or a flaky charger causing Windows to stick in a battery power mode or something.

Tubben

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

Sorry for the late reply but I haven't had a problem with my computer since that night. Temps going back down to normal and everything working fine. Still confused as to why it only happened that day. Thanks for the help!