My program is being flagged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebedi1

Estimable
Jun 16, 2016
Hi, so I decided that I was going to make a program that solved quadratic equations. When I was done, I clicked build (this is c# on visual studios) and transferred the executive file to my home computer. Norton then flagged it and I clicked run anyway. Out of interest I ran Norton power eraser and it said my pc was infected and the program I made was a virus. Why is this?

Solution

Yes. If the detection reason is unknown publisher then your detection rules are entirely too aggressive. I would go nuts if my programs got flagged. So perhaps read up on anti virus software and what is suitable for you. I have used many over the years and ended up simply using windows defender. It seems to do a decent enough job to stop threats and does not slow down my PC to a crawl like many other AV.
There are...

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
On the computer that you used to make the program is there a possibility of a virus? When you make an exe program many viruses happily attach themselves to the exe to propagate and survive. Some viruses infect every exe and dlls on your system and can be a real pain to repair and often cant be done without causing damage to the OS. You did not write a virus but it might have infected the exe immediately upon compilation.

I recommend you run an antivirus on the source machine and investigate further. Chances are both of your enviroments are now infected with some virus.

Zebedi1

Estimable
Jun 16, 2016
Update! Norton flagged this because it has an unknown publisher and is not reputable I guess. I uploaded it to totally virus.com and not one malware detector came positives. Norton power eraser is very aggressive and I reckon it's probably been flagged as a virus because it is not signed and has low rep. Anyone agree?

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

Yes. If the detection reason is unknown publisher then your detection rules are entirely too aggressive. I would go nuts if my programs got flagged. So perhaps read up on anti virus software and what is suitable for you. I have used many over the years and ended up simply using windows defender. It seems to do a decent enough job to stop threats and does not slow down my PC to a crawl like many other AV.
There are issues like this: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/antivirus-is-bad/

Solution

Zebedi1

Estimable
Jun 16, 2016
Yeh thanks! I'm happy with Norton as it was not flagged as a virus, it was just a warning. Norton power eraser is only really for people who know they have a virus. I guess it was just me being stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.