My screen receives only green colour signal

Krle

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
Hi,

I have a problem with the DVI port on my graphics card (heading of the topic). This isn't a problem on the other ports, just this one. I checked the cable, DVI/VGA adapter and my monitor on my old computer, with old graphics card and everything works fine, so I thought the problem must be new graphics card. I took it to service station, they checked it and they said that DVI port is fine which got me confused and I don't know what could be the problem.

I was looking for the components compatibility and I think everything should be fine. Maybe I overlooked something, so I would be grateful for second opinion. Here's the list of my components:

MB: MSI H81M-P32L
GC: GeForce GTX 960
CPU: Intel i5 4690K
Monitor: LG 22MP57V

adheananda

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
I'm not sure what test they did to determine it was fine (unless they plugged into that bad port and everything was working) but it sounds like it's the card from the testing you did. Can you clarify what process they did if they did it in front of you?

Oftentimes this is due to a bad cable, specifically the pins not contacting properly. You can replicate the issue by pulling a cable out partially. Depending on the angle, the monitor will display different saturation of Red, Green, or Blue.

You mentioned that you tried that cable and VGA/DVI adapter on your old computer; just to clarify, you left the VGA cable that is going from your monitor to the DVI/VGA adapter attached to the adapter, and then took the adapter and plugged it in, with everything still attached, to your old computer and everything works just fine?

If that is the case, you have successfully ruled out the monitor, the cable, and the adapter. All that is left is the video card. This is likely an issue with pin contacts on the problem port because you have mentioned that this is only an issue with a single port on the card so you've ruled out the GPU and much of the card's components.

I would say you have a solid case for a warranty replacement if you have such coverage. The default warranty on nVidia cards is 3 years from date of purchase.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/manufacturer_warranty.html