My Toshiba Laptop i5-5200u +gtx 950m is over heating

GhOsTx44

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
I bought a Toshiba Satellite for gaming month ago..it was working normally for 2weeks than while I was playing GTA5 I noticed that my game starts to lag after 10mins(goes from 45~ to 20~)..I knew it was a heating issue so I run afterburner I was shocked that my cpu temperature reach 100-105c after few mins of gaming..then I googled the issue and I found out that I need to go to power options and change the maximum processor power to 70% instead of 100% and that fixed it ..now it is about 80c~ but that decreased my performance .and that annoying me so much bc I can barely play games at 30fps when I know my laptop can reach higher fps

I also noticed that when I am playing with integrated gpu or stress testing my cpu temp never goes beyond 70c even when its 100% maximum power,but as soon as I play any game with my external gpu my cpu temp goes beyond 80-90 after few mins and its not even on full load :(

it seems like my external gpu makes my cpu reach high temps when ever I play games with both at the same time.

so I what I wanted to know is:
-is this normal or is there something wrong with my laptop?
-is playing games with a 80c-90c on both cpu and gpu is a normal thing?
-is there a way to make me play with 100% procssor power without reaching very high temperatures?

please guys help :(

Solution
There might be an issue with your laptop's cooling system. Since you said it's working fine in the first 2 weeks, maybe it's the thermal paste that's gone bad because of bad factory application of the thermal paste. My suggestion would be: try replacing the thermal paste, as the stock thermal paste from the factory might not be good enough and re-applying it might boost your cooling. Keep in mind that you need a decent thermal paste, like the Arctic MX4 for example, it costs around $10. Otherwise it would just be a waste.

That's my best guess so far based on your explanation, or maybe you need to try getting one of those vacuum laptop cooler. It's really helping a lot and you can get those chinese brands for really cheap... Around $5...

rafliarema

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
There might be an issue with your laptop's cooling system. Since you said it's working fine in the first 2 weeks, maybe it's the thermal paste that's gone bad because of bad factory application of the thermal paste. My suggestion would be: try replacing the thermal paste, as the stock thermal paste from the factory might not be good enough and re-applying it might boost your cooling. Keep in mind that you need a decent thermal paste, like the Arctic MX4 for example, it costs around $10. Otherwise it would just be a waste.

That's my best guess so far based on your explanation, or maybe you need to try getting one of those vacuum laptop cooler. It's really helping a lot and you can get those chinese brands for really cheap... Around $5..

Try those 2 things, I guarantee that it will work. Let me know how it goes.

Solution
Apr 12, 2018
The toshiba satilite laptops are generally marketed to multimedia content creators, meaning usually less intensive loads over long periods of times. The way the cooling is structured on the satilite range (im not sure if its all of them) is that they share the same exhaust for both cpu and gpu, this means that when u benchmark the cpu, it will run to its own temperature, however in gaming, the heat will be transferred and shared from the gpu + cpu. Best thing to do is to buy a laptop cooling base and also undervolt the cpu with intel tuning utility, or even undervolting gpu through MSI after burner.