my toshiba laptop won't boot

Solution
It's really good news that you were able to retrieve your files, good job!

Now I'd recommend that you proceed with the HDD diagnostic tests, to see if this was really the culprit for the issues you've been having before. If there are errors and/or bad sectors, you'll need to replace the drive before you give it to your little brother, as he'll probably experience problems like this at some point.

Cheers! :)

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey there, koeienc64.

It seems like the laptop is having issues with loading your OS, if I'm not mistaken. If this is the case it could be due to an HDD issue. I'd recommend that you try that drive with a different computer if possible (and if taking it out of the laptop does not void the warranty, if the laptop is still under warranty). If the drive is properly recognized by a different computer, go ahead and backup your important information, after that download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test it for errors and bad sectors, to see if there's anything alarming.
You might also be able to get to your files while the HDD is in the laptop by using Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, to see if it's able to properly recognized and access the drive.

Getting in touch with the laptop manufacturer's customer support for more information might also be a good idea.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

koeien64

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
Hi,

sorry for the late reation.(and bad English)
I put the hdd out and put it in a old pc and hdd installed automatic. so i made a backup from it (it took 8 hours :). and i put the hdd back in and the hdd installed automatic and now works i good. But i buy soon a new one and give my old laptop to my young brother.

Thank you Boogieman_WD

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
It's really good news that you were able to retrieve your files, good job!

Now I'd recommend that you proceed with the HDD diagnostic tests, to see if this was really the culprit for the issues you've been having before. If there are errors and/or bad sectors, you'll need to replace the drive before you give it to your little brother, as he'll probably experience problems like this at some point.

Cheers! :)

Solution