NASA Confirms Discovery of Arsenic-based Life Form

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Whether you believe that God has given this incredible level of adaptability into these organisms, or you believe that it's simply nature's doing, this is an awesome discovery.

As for the whole Aliens debate, which is sure to spring up here soon, I heard a quote from.. I think it was one of the popes.. He said something along the lines of "to deny the possibility of the existence of such is to place limits on God's power."

G

This is an amazing discovery. If you don't think so, then you have a very limited knowledge of microbiology. Don't invest too much, though, as these sorts of discoveries often come out as either mistakes or hoaxes. Still though, having the approval of NASA is a pretty hefty mark.

dekker451

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Xatos[/nom]I laugh at the people who put so much faith in science and man. Everyday we find out we're wrong. Too funny.[/citation]

But that's how science works. How can we learn anything if we believe we already know everything?

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]here is how i view the world. people currently 60+ if they believe in god its ok, they lived in a time getting the @!#$% kliced out of you for not believe ing would be lucky, some places it would get you killedbetween 30-60 i think they are stupid, and have lesser overall intilagance (sp, chrome has a bad spell checker)people 10-30 you are mental invilids that pose no benefit to humanity, you are dragging us down with you presistance of living that willingly stupid life. you dont just hurt yourselves, you hurt everyone around you.[/citation]
here is how i view the world.
people with the screenname alidan are dumbasses because they rely on spellcheck to spell their words properly.

anyways.. why the hell are people arguing about whether or not its truly arsenic-based or if its a damn alien or..who the hell cares?! I'm sure its something pretty freaking important if NASA made a public announcement about it, seeing they would know more about extra-ordinary beings than any of us would. I'm more inclined to say YAY! new lifeforms found! i mean..shouldn't we be EXCITED for this rather than arguing? damn politicians..all they can think about is debating.

G

here is how i view the world.
people currently 60+ if they believe in god its ok, they lived in a time getting the @!#$% kliced out of you for not believe ing would be lucky, some places it would get you killed
between 30-60 i think they are stupid, and have lesser overall intilagance (sp, chrome has a bad spell checker)
people 10-30 you are mental invilids that pose no benefit to humanity, you are dragging us down with you presistance of living that willingly stupid life. you dont just hurt yourselves, you hurt everyone around you.

Its nice to know there are still ignorant bigots in the world.
Look up Christians in science, belief in god doesn't make you "willingly stupid", it encourages you to question everything, something which clearly you don't - if a scientist says so, it must be true!.

As it happens, there are many Christians today who face "getting the @!#$% kliced out of you for not believe ing would be lucky, some places it would get you killed" for their faith who live in atheistic states.

Just so you know.
I'm a christian, I think the discovery is wonderful and it's one new discovery about a created world (not to say evolution didn't occur, of course), which can deepen our understanding of the awesomeness of God.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
this is not surprising to me only because i figured that it's very possible that there are other lifeforms in existence that require different substances to survive... not just water and air

huge discovery though

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]So what should we put our faith in, then? God? The Flying Spaghetti Monster? Perhaps we should be content throwing up our arms and quitting, on the basis that there's just too much new stuff out there to learn?[/citation]

How can you possibility doubt the existence of the fly spaghetti monster? that's just beyond me....

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
stop basing religion, some people need that comfort that someone is there, does not mean they are stupid (religious people, please don't think all atheist are A-holes!). but it does seem that religion is always changing due to new science (the world is flat and the sun orbits the earth?), i will love to see what the pope has to say when we have first contact.

science is an adventure, trial and error, and always a work in progress. just because we prove ourselves wrong every day does not mean we are wrong, or its not working, it just proves it is working, and we are learning.

we're doing science, and we're still alive.

DScott79

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
What created God? What created the thing that created God? What created the thing that created the thing that created God? Rinse, repeat ad finitum...

mleejr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]here is how i view the world. people currently 60+ if they believe in god its ok, they lived in a time getting the @!#$% kliced out of you for not believe ing would be lucky, some places it would get you killedbetween 30-60 i think they are stupid, and have lesser overall intilagance (sp, chrome has a bad spell checker)people 10-30 you are mental invilids that pose no benefit to humanity, you are dragging us down with you presistance of living that willingly stupid life. you dont just hurt yourselves, you hurt everyone around you.[/citation]

You have horrible punctuation, grammar and spelling. I generally forgive most internet grammar and spelling, but I'm not the one here throwing stones.

As for you being the definition of genius, you didn't even lay out the scale definitions or alternates or groups. Is it age? IQ? The basis of meaningful data is defining the type of measurement (ordinal, etc), unit, scale, etc. You included none of these. This happens all the time. I hear some politician or news person say "some sort of data is 20!" but the data is completely out of context. Is it out of 20? Is it logarithmic? etc.

I assume your scale is age and your chosen group is people within that age that believe in god. The alternate to your group is those that do not believe in god...is that a correct assumption?

If that is correct, then you are an idiot. An idiot, however, does not know that he is an idiot. I am agnostic but do not think that anyone who believes in God is automatically an idiot. BTW, one of the greatest theologians was my idol Sir Isaac Newton.

How is anyone age 10-30 that is a Christian hurting everyone around them? I am surrounded by Christians and love them. They tend to be the nicest people. They may not agree that this is a sign of evolution, but I don't have the venomous hatred that you do.

You sound like a retarded Hitler. One could easily add the line "Throw them all in ovens." to the end of your diatribe and it would not seem even the slightest bit out of context.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom] if you understand the size the scope of just the known universe, then you understand the belief of life only on the planet earth as being completely egotistical.[/citation]

Agreed! The sheer size of the universe just boggles the human mind. I also think that just based on probability alone, there is life out there. I just hope in our life time, we would witness first contact... that would be amazing, assuming they don't take us over in the follow week :)

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
There is a scientific approach to creation as well.

With this discovery, we could do wonders...or understand what the heck is up with the little buggers!

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
idk if it is the same life form but i watched a thing about a bacteria on "The Solar System" one of those science channel shows, that lives in up to a 90% arsenic solution. and that show was filmed in 2009.

either way, yet another piece of proof for evolution.

and yes it's evolution if the offspring develop a trait and pass it on to thier offspring that the parents do not have. that is the basis of evolution.

and i don't mean to bash religion but the whole "Intelligent Design" thing is just a way for some to stuff their head down a whole and ignore the world.

one of my main faults with religion is the religion itself, it's the people who sheepishly and blindly follow how a PERSON (minister, priest, rabbi, monk, whathaveyou) interprets an obscure religious document.

religion is a freedom in America, it is your right to believe in any religion you want to. but belief does not mean you shouldn't be open minded about science.

it's funny how some religious people (mostly evangelist) will look for any obscure way to refute a scientific theory, but at that same time refuse to place that same level of scrutiny on their own religion.

phych

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005

What are you smoking and where can I get some?

rebus_forever

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Although this is interesting it is over-stating it to say they are "arsenic-based" life forms. The arsenic replaced the phosphorus, so if they are arsenic-based then we would have to describe ourselves as phosphorus-based. Both forms, are in-fact, still carbon-based life forms.[/citation]

I think the point being made is that if arsenic can be used within our atmosphere as a replacement then why not on another world as the basis, were talking about an additional building block that casts doubt on the old view of there being only 6 possible "building blocks" capable of forming life.

SirDevon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Once 2012 rolls around and us carbon-phosphorus-based lifeforms are all obliterated, this is the next lifeform to rule the planet.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Very cool find... very cool. On just ONE planet we have found TWO basic forms of life.

At this point how can anyone deny that life could (and probably does) exsist elseware in the universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.