NASA Confirms Discovery of Arsenic-based Life Form

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]Anonytard[/nom]As it happens, there are many Christians today who face "getting the @!#$% kliced out of you for not believe ing would be lucky, some places it would get you killed" for their faith who live in atheistic states.[/citation]
I didn't know there was an atheistic state. Would you care to point which one you're talking about and a specific example of a Christian "getting the @!#$% kliced out"?

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Wow. What if other elements like Gold or Uranium are also used by some other life form elsewhere in the Universe? This knocks my socks off. Truly amazing.

pabeader

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]I didn't know there was an atheistic state. Would you care to point which one you're talking about and a specific example of a Christian "getting the @!#$% kliced out"?[/citation]

It's the USSR considered atheistic, or at the least, non-thestic?

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]here is how i view the world. people currently 60+ if they believe in god its ok, they lived in a time getting the @!#$% kliced out of you for not believe ing would be lucky, some places it would get you killedbetween 30-60 i think they are stupid, and have lesser overall intilagance (sp, chrome has a bad spell checker)people 10-30 you are mental invilids that pose no benefit to humanity, you are dragging us down with you presistance of living that willingly stupid life. you dont just hurt yourselves, you hurt everyone around you.[/citation]

WHAAAA?????

Maybe, NASA needs to study your life-form!

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
This does not disprove anything and is infact just further proof of evolution, an environment obvously deficient in a required raw material spurs the development of an organism able to overcome the challenge.
Actually it is no surprise that it uses Arsenic, if the scientific book burners can pull ther heads out of their fantasy religious literature for a minute and look at the periodic table of chemical elements you will see that Arsenic sits in the same column as phosphous just below it, which means it shares many chemical similarities. It is not a surprise that this has been found, very much the same way as scientists have proposed there could be life systems based on silicon in replacement of carbon based life. Silicon sits just under carbon in the same column as it and so is the basis for such a suggestion.

Finding something different does not discredit science as some would like to.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Ps also this article is a little sensationalistic, this is not a whole new life form, DNA is also made of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, sulphur (? not sure about that one) and probably some others I've missed which we share in common, its just an example of an organism that has evolved (yes evolved disbelievers) to overcome an environmental pressure in this case just replacing phosphorous which was in limited supply with the similar element Arsenic.

Its only profound in as much as it supports the hypothesis that life can use elements different to those more commonly found in life on earth and so we do need as was hypothesised to broarden our description of life when looking in different and alien environments.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]pabeader[/nom]It's the USSR considered atheistic, or at the least, non-thestic?[/citation]
1) the USSR is no longer a country
2) the United States is also considered an atheistic state since it has no official religion, as a matter of fact our own constitution prohibits our government from instituting a national religion.

dekker451

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]makrish[/nom]To all those who don't understand the enormity of this find - other planets do not have the elemental make-up of Earth. Other planets may be deficient in phosphorous and have excessive arsenic. This proves that life is sustainable with arsenic substituting phosphorous, and increases the number of planets on which life is sustainable. Maybe not Earth life, but other, as yet unknown, species (microbes or maybe even larger).Basically, this is big. What other elements are also substitutable in DNA? How many different forms of DNA are there? How many planets is it now possible for life to form on? Very, very, big.[/citation]

If the existence of God were a logical certainty then everyone would believe in God and there would never be such discussions as this.

dekker451

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]1) the USSR is no longer a country2) the United States is also considered an atheistic state since it has no official religion, as a matter of fact our own constitution prohibits our government from instituting a national religion.[/citation]

I think you mean secular, not atheistic. A government or organization can't be atheistic. Only a person can be an atheist.

G

Lol I love that mr. lacking-intelligence over there tried to make himself look all smart by denouncing hmmm... pretty much everyone else, and then had no idea how to spell intelligence and in fact wasn't even smart enough to look it up. but maybe he was created that way and who am i to question the workings of God. :)

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Uh, duh? People have been saying this for years. Life does NOT NEED oxygen, water, or sunlight. Life HERE on EARTH needs those things because that is what has been here, and it's what we're created of.

Life on Titan would be comprised of hydrocarbons. Life on Neptune would be made of argon and xenon. You're made out of whatever the stuff around you is made of. I've always thought it was stupid for scientists to narrowly search the stars for water-covered planets because "life NEEDS water". No, it doesn't. Life HERE needs water. Life on Venus that is based on sulfur would find water to be deadly.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Xatos[/nom]I laugh at the people who put so much faith in science and man. Everyday we find out we're wrong. Too funny.[/citation]

I'm with you buddy. science says -

"these are the building blocks of all forms of life." instead of,
"these are the building blocks of all forms of life that we have found." and there is a BIG difference in the 2 statements. and all the supporters on here will p1ss and moan but cannot argue against the above point,
that science might get things right but its very inconsistent and THAT is not scientific.

dekker451

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]blackmancer[/nom]I'm with you buddy. science says -"these are the building blocks of all forms of life." instead of, "these are the building blocks of all forms of life that we have found." and there is a BIG difference in the 2 statements. and all the supporters on here will p1ss and moan but cannot argue against the above point,that science might get things right but its very inconsistent and THAT is not scientific.[/citation]

That's ridiculous. You don't know what you're talking about.

cold fire

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]DScott79[/nom]What created God? What created the thing that created God? What created the thing that created the thing that created God? Rinse, repeat ad finitum...[/citation]
What created Nature? What created the thing that created Nature? What created the thing that created the thing that created Nature? Rinse, repeat ad finitum...

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
[citation][nom]blackmancer[/nom]I'm with you buddy. science says -"these are the building blocks of all forms of life." instead of, "these are the building blocks of all forms of life that we have found." and there is a BIG difference in the 2 statements. and all the supporters on here will p1ss and moan but cannot argue against the above point,that science might get things right but its very inconsistent and THAT is not scientific.[/citation]

Thats right in the abscence of any factual arguments just split hairs and try and discredit by finding fault with spelling ect.

Can you explain how it is possible to make comment on the components of life that we have not yet found?.....my crystal ball has gone a little misty.

G

neilnh said:
Actually, theists generally believe in an eternal, uncreated God.

Theists believe in an arbitrary God that just arbitrarily happened to exist in an uncreated state arbitrarily.

Infinite regression isn't a problem for non-theists because we're content to concede the fact that we simply don't know and neither does anyone else.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]chriskrum[/nom]I laugh at people of faith. If it were up them we'd be slitting the throat of a goat every year to make it rain.[/citation]
Everyone depends on faith. Whether that's faith in God or faith that there is no God. The idea that "faith" means "religion" is naive and ignorant. Faith is simply trust in the factors that support your beliefs, whether you believe in the big bang or an all-powerful creator. Psuedo-scientists like to pretend that they need no faith because all the "facts" support whatever it is they believe in, but then we see things like this "new" life form that seem to contradict what we've thought were the facts. A truly open mind has room for both the acknowledgement of faith and the readiness to revise presupposed opinions.

G

Whoops - the article failed to mention that the bacterium still uses phosphorous - it is not a total replacement with arsenic as stated in this article. This doesn't surprise me, coming from NASA. Oh - and talk of alien life can only increase the flow of tax dollars their way....

Status
Not open for further replies.