NASA Sues Astronaut Over 40-year-old Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Nasa has a better chance going back to the moon by allying itself with other space agencies, after all can the USA afford the space when there is recession back here?

That said I think the camera should be auctioned and money raised should go to fund education. After all don't former astronauts collect a handsome pension?

G

If Bush, Baker and Co basically donated weapons and high tech materoals through the CCC programs back in the 80's to Iraq then giving a 40 year old camera to Iran would not be such a bad thing...lol

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
ReggieRay. These are the type of comments that give the USA a bad rep around the world. Can't support a decent guy as President because you don't like his colour and spread mistrust about people of other religions.

As for the camera. If NASA say it's theirs and they didn't give it to Edgar Mitchell, then it's theirs.

G

He deserved it, and most of us would have done the same thing.

Ummm, NO.

The camera belongs in a museum.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Stealing is Stealing:

You don't know who the camera belongs to yet so don't judge till the facts are in. He claims NASA gave it to him. If that is the case then the stupid thing does not belong in a museum.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]As for the camera. If NASA say it's theirs and they didn't give it to Edgar Mitchell, then it's theirs.[/citation]
Those are my shoes! I don't remember giving them to you! Give them back now, or else. And, is that my shirt? That's it, you thief, I'll see you in court.

G

Perhaps they want to get their hands back on the camera as it may fall into the possession of someone who could prove that it could never have worked on the moon anyway, but was fine in the mock-up lunar landscape they fooled everybody with ;-)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
is it just me, or can you see someone loosing paperwork at the bureaucratic nightmare that is nasa?

nasa has its head up their ass, for the most part. they p@#$ away tens of billions yearly when the private space program is being funded for under 500million total before profits come in.

i can see them giving away the camera to the guy, after all its not really useful after it was on the moon than back to earth, just assuming that the optics are kind of messed up alone.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I think it's a mistake and he was given it. Verizon makes mistakes on my billing monthly it seems, nasa wouldn't have done the same? I think he deserves something for his journey and can sell it in his old age if he likes, why not? Also, would you condemn Johnny Depp for selling something from Nightmare on Elm Street or the more popular Pirates series if he was possibly given it and then new management forgot 40 years later?

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Though I appreciate the news and enjoyed being informed on this topic, this article is saturated with writer opinion. If this were a blog article, or if it were labeled as an opinion piece, it would be no big deal, but I thought this was supposed to be a news article. The writer didn't even have the decency to at least be subtle about his opinion.

As for the camera, if Edgar Mitchell can provide evidence and/or witnesses that NASA gifted that camera to him, then I hope that everyone involved has the decency to drop the issue at that point. But if no such evidence exists, then I don't blame NASA for pursuing this. While this may be one little camera, it is still a case of property theft (however innocent) and resale, and they don't want to encourage future employees to do the same.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
my guess is that back in the 70's, things weren't as ridiculous as they are now, so they were probably given as gifts without any paperwork because they all thought it was a good idea. Even if there was, where would they go to find it? One piece of paperwork amidst millions? I'd hate that job, but it still pays I guess. haha

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yeah... why the heck would they care about a camera??? Even if it was stolen, it's 40 years after the fact! Isn't there a statute of limitation on this kind of thing? I think this is a waste of the court's time, and of our federal tax dollars... 40 years... come on people! Let's use a bit of common sense here! He probably just asked his mission commander, hey can I have this camera now that you guys have taken the film out, as a souvenir? And they said sure, we won't use it again anyway. And now that he's trying to make a couple bucks off of it, they get po'd because they're hurting for money. Bureaucrats! Who needs 'em?

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
i agree with NASA. it is their property and unless they give it to him. besides the technology is old but i wonder what NASA will do with it unless this camera has more potential and NASA is trying to cover up something. like a bigger lawsuit that they copied the technology from someone else. lol

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Since NASA's mission now is Muslim outreach, according to the Kenyan, maybe they can donate to Iran, I hear they are wanting to start a space program.[/citation]

lol of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.