Need a consult

nickixo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Hey guys so my buddys dad has this laptop and the screen was acting up (flashing off)

HDMI output worked fine, so i assumed it to be the panel.
replace panel --> ghosting issue/area on left had more black then right side --> assumed faulty, got replacement.

new replacement is even worse and has lines all over. looks broken --> tech support says 2nd screen fully tested, must be cable or else.

replace cable --> same exact issue persists.

Meanwhile, the HDMI output works flawlessly, so im inclined to not think its the iGPU.

Should I insist the panel was damaged during shipping or does it really appear to be something else?

Additionally, is there any tool that would allow me to test the monitor on a desktop or test the gpu cable to another external display? I have heard of one, but don't knwo what its called and cant find one on google.

Any help appreciated!

Hi,

The problem lies on the motherboard itself, the port where you connect the display cable. Try to blow a air compressor on it but not too hard that might damage it then try it again. If it will not work unfortunately the only solution is to have the motherboard replaced with a new one. :(

nickixo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
How common is this problem and was there a quicker way to diagnose it, without replacing the cable and panel?

Additionally, the initial panel does not display a backlight. Can I assume the panel is probably dead, as 3 other panels (including a smashed one) all light up, or could replacing the motherboard potentially fix the panel?
Trying to determine if a motherboard replacement would be worth it, as I am thinking not, if its panel + motherboard.

nickixo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015

Yes, the cable replacement was my most recent fix.
the reason I do not suspect the GPU is the External display is flawless via HDMI. I am content with thinking it may be the gpu cable port itself, but am mainly wondering if its possible to say if the panel with no backlight is in fact broken or if the motherboard is a possible cause.

nickixo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015

fair point. in either event whether its the gpu or port, it's motherboard related. I still wanted to know if I could call the panel dead, as its not showing a backlight. Im trying to figure if it would require a motherboard + a panel (making it not worth it.
Additionally i was hoping you could reference me to a tool that would help me test cables/panels in the future without the need of having a spare laptop.

The tool you need to start with is a multimeter, a schematic for the panel and laptop, and my prefered tool is years of experience in troubleshooting. I don't know any tool that you connect to a panel and will tell you if it's good or bad. Sorry.