Need advice on new surround sound A/V receiver

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
We need to replace our Samsung A/V R-720 after 10 years. Apparently Samsung does not make surround sound A/V receivers anymore, correct? Any suggestions?

Best Buy tells me Denon and Onkyo are their best sellers but that doesn't always mean best quality. I have always been partial to Sony or Samsung for the quality and price.

What do you consider to be a good quality buy for between $400 - $600 without speakers. The Samsung R-720 had an output of 850 watts so looking for something similar. Don't need WiFi or a bunch of games or apps. We just use it to watch online content (no TV subscription) through a dedicated computer I built for the purpose.

Thanks

Solution
I don't know of any receivers that have video upscaling - that would be like taking a 1080p signal and converting it to 4k - a job like that is best left to either the tv itself or a uhd player. Both of the receivers will pass through and support both 4k and HDR - these days, this is what you want.

Also both receivers will expand stereo to 5.1 and 5.1 to 7.1. This from the 720 manual:

"Dolby Surround/DTS Neural:X
These listening modes allow you to expand
the playback signal to 5.1 channels or
7.1 channels to suit the connected speaker
configuration when the input signal is
2 channels or 5.1 channels."

This from the 810 manual:

"Dolby Surround
These listening modes allow you to expand the playback
signal to 5.1 channels or...

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks. They both look good. The RZ-720 for $479 does not have video up-scaling. I think I know what that is but where is it important? One thing I think is important is up-scaling or converting a stereo source to surround sound. I have heard some units don't include this. Any thoughts?

Thanks

robert600

Distinguished
I don't know of any receivers that have video upscaling - that would be like taking a 1080p signal and converting it to 4k - a job like that is best left to either the tv itself or a uhd player. Both of the receivers will pass through and support both 4k and HDR - these days, this is what you want.

Also both receivers will expand stereo to 5.1 and 5.1 to 7.1. This from the 720 manual:

"Dolby Surround/DTS Neural:X
These listening modes allow you to expand
the playback signal to 5.1 channels or
7.1 channels to suit the connected speaker
configuration when the input signal is
2 channels or 5.1 channels."

This from the 810 manual:

"Dolby Surround
These listening modes allow you to expand the playback
signal to 5.1 channels or 7.1 channels to suit the
connected speaker configuration when the input signal
is 2 channels or 5.1 channels. Dolby surround is a next
generation surround technology that intelligently up mixes
stereo; 5.1 and 7.1 content for playback through your
surround speaker system. Dolby surround is compatible
with traditional speaker layouts, as well as Dolby Atmos
enabled playback systems that employ inceiling speakers
or products with Dolby speaker technology."

Here's a link to the 810 manual (be sure to click on the 'advanced manual' in the blue ribbon if you want all the details).

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/downloads/2/9/6/2/9/Manual_TX-RZ810_BAS_ADV_En.pdf

That 810 is one bad-ass receiver and when you can get it for less than half price ... well, what can one say? The 720 is good too and also less than half price.

Solution