Lickedeyes

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
Alright so, im just gonna be real here and state that i did in fact have teamviewer on. i had it set to a 'random' password, and thats how they were able to get in - i actually caught them in the process of trying to buy a $1499 iphone x.(like 40 minutes ago !!) VERY fortunately, i was able to stop that and i have taken various precautions as to no longer have team viewer open automatically, changed various passwords and also installed a new - and an actual password for teamviewer if i would so choose to use it again.

Anyway, sorry to get side tracked - my main problem is that somewhere along the lines, he must have tampered with my drives? im assuming he more than likely installed some kind of malicious software or keylogger onto my PC - i feel very vulnerable right now. Not only that - my main problem is that my hard drive is missing. my boot drive is good, its a 250g ssd, and everything still seems to be on it - though my 1tb hdd is missing, doesnt seem to show up at all and i also dont see any of the data.

i have always been a little hesitant or skeptical on using any "virus protection," as most brands dont seem to actually rid of the problem; I was thinking of doing a system restore to - say yesterday or before? Would that actually rid of anything he could have installed / or is my drive toast?

What should i do here lol

Solution

Obtain an 8GB flash drive. $5 at the drugstore.
On a different PC, create your own Win10 install: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Section II, step 6 & 7 refers to deleting all existing partitions.

Have both drives connected. Delete ALL partitions on both of them.
Once that is done...

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
safest option is to reformat and reinstall everything.

Does your disk show in Dislk Management?
If not then check using the command line "diskpart" program.

I suspect that they have tampered with your disk partitioning.

If you had any bank account details stored on teh computer, contact teh bank and get new accounts.

There is no excuse to not run an AV program.

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. Power OFF

2. From a whole different system, go reset ALL of your passwords. Everywhere. All of them.
Do this now.

3. On this compromised PC, a full wipe and reinstall. No antivirus scan, no system restore....full wipe and reinstall.

I must say though...No antivirus and TeamViewer with no password? I have no words...

Lickedeyes

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
I appreciate the brutal honesty, and quite honestly it was like a smack in the face having seen it.

i dont know that i have a working or compatible flash drive that can actually install windows. i say this because i actually was trying to get a side pc running not so long ago, and i had kept running into issues - i dont have an actual disk copy of it either. its later at night, its a work night - and i understand its my own fault, but its exceptionally inconvenient right now to consider a full reset. is that really the only way? :/

I did do what you told me, i actually thought of that too - as i was freaking out almost having a panick attack. i did infact go to a seperate, 'safe' location and update all of my passwords. Also other than mcafee, what might you suggest for antivirus? i had seen in a lot of other sources, people almost mocking AV so, i honestly hadnt put that much consideration into how serious it was.

and also, yes the disk is showing up under disk management

USAFRet

Illustrious
If a family member came to me with this tale of woe, there would be no question. The system would have already been wiped.
No choice, don't care whats on it.

Once a bad actor has actually been inside the PC...Full wipe and reinstall. No option.
Inconvenience doesn't count.

What OS is this?

For an AV, I use BitDefender. Avast also works.

People mocking AV tools is like never going to the dentist and bragging that you have no cavities.
Oh really? How do you know?

Lickedeyes

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
What would you say the best course of action is - regarding to actually resetting it since i dont have a 'reliable flash drive,' and no copy of a disc? can i just use the option 'reset my pc?'
i am on windows 10, and i noticed... not that it really matters now, but after resetting the drive has since appeared. all the data does seem to be there too.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Obtain an 8GB flash drive. $5 at the drugstore.
On a different PC, create your own Win10 install: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Section II, step 6 & 7 refers to deleting all existing partitions.

Have both drives connected. Delete ALL partitions on both of them.
Once that is done, power off.
Disconnect all drives except the desired OS drive.
Boot up again from your USB, and install
After the install is all done and the system is working, reconnect any other drives you have.

Solution

mdd1963

Distinguished
Do not leave Teamviewer on until actually expecting a connection with someone you trust/know...

And if *anything* else used the same password as you had Teamviewer set to, immediately change it as well.....

'Password1!' is not a good password :)