Michigan Tech

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hello. I am an engineering student and waited to buy a laptop in hopes of getting some good deals. Didn't go as planned and now I am in a pickle. Here's my situations:

I use a crap ton of Creo for personal CAD work, school work, and some for my internship.

What laptop specifications am I looking for?

I do not want a heavy laptop. I am a huge fan of small laptops, if I want something big and clunky I'd get a desktop (not really). So I am looking for something along the lines of an ultra book (sub 5 pounds, sub 4 pounds of extra points, etc.)

As states above, the laptop needs to be able to run Creo flawlessly.

It must be up-gradable, I plan on having this for at least 7+ years.

Thank you! I know I am asking for a lot, but I am sure someone out there has a good answer. There is no real budget but I'd always like to save money where I can. Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

*I know I have another thread, but that is dead and I cannot figure out how to delete it. If you are a mod please consider deleting my other thread. Thank you!*

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
Not many laptops are upgradeable now other than adding more memory or drives. I think you need to look for an i7 processor along with 16 GB's of RAM and an SSD. A 15 inch screen should give you enough real estate to work with while keeping the weight down. The laptop below uses a a powerful CPU and a discrete graphics card. Weight is a 5.5 pounds and battery life won't be as good as others, but system should easily last many years.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8151-S.html

Michigan Tech

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

Beautiful laptop. But I am a real stickler as far as weight and size goes. I'm really trying to find a real thing and small laptop. Also trying to avoid Macs as well.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

laptops with 2520M from like 2011 arent obselete so that means he will for sure get 7 years with his laptop even with a core i5. processor performance has hit a brick wall where you wont gain much more past this point.