Need help repairing a Hisense Smart TV (Horizontal/Vertical Lines)(updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savvy_01

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
[strike]So, I did some searching, and what I'm seeing is that virtually all cases of black, horizontal lines on a TV are related to a bad LCD Panel.

The only thing bothering me is most forums seem to reference one or two thick black lines going right to left; It seems like every other millimeter is a black line. It flickers a bit, and every now and then, the whole screen freezes, the left side of the screen starts growing vertical lines covering and distorting up to half the screen, and then the whole thing just goes back to a thousand black lines covering the screen.

I've tried opening the menu and the lines are over it, leading me to think it is, in fact, the lcd panel. If it's the LCD Panel, I've already priced one out, I just want some confirmation before I make this purchase, as it's $151. I got the TV free from a friend, and he never got to use it because of this issue (it's brand new).

Model No.: 50K610GW, in case you need specs. I was going to post the whole Spec table here, but... it looked messy.

Thanks in advance. [/strike]

UPDATE: I can't find the display any longer, so I was wondering if I could put a different model, same size LCD panel in the TV and still have it work?

Solution

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
well it is very strange that a "never used" tv has a panel issue. There is a large possibility that the cabling needs reseating and / or contacts cleaned which would be wiser to try first instead of trying to find a replacement panel.

lots of lines across the screen is usually a sign of a connection problem (between the tcon and the panel) or the tcon card.

Savvy_01

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, yeah, I know how it sounds, like one of those "fell of the back of a truck" deals. He brought the tv for me to fix awhile ago, and I told him what was wrong and even told him about the warranty. a year later he tells me I can have it if I can fix it. I didn't ask any followups.

I was hoping that it was just the tcon card or connections, but all the cables are secure. I could try replacing the tcon board, it's not that expensive, but I only want to take one shot at a lcd panel replacement. Which is why I put it off for so long. You think Hisense would honor a warranty claim outside of the 90 day period if I paid for the repairs? I wish I had the cash at the time I saw those panels earlier, cuz I can't find them anywhere.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Paying for a fix has nothing to do with warranty.
The warranty is long expired. If you want it fixed, either discover the issue and fix it, or send it to Hisense to fix it, or find a local repair guy to fix it.

All of which probably cost as much as a new one.

Solution

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
OK... now you provided more information about what about how you got here, try unplugging just one of the cables from the tcon to the panel. What happens? Try doing the same on the other side.

Multiple even spaced lines across the tv is usually not the panel. If you get them only on one side or the other, then panel is likely the issue.

Savvy_01

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Sorry, I didn't mean to select this as a solution, I meant to reply. Although, It was the tcon card, as it turns out, the lcd panel is most likely going out as well, as before there were vertical and horizontal, now just horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.