Need help with 4k pass through from new PS4 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayCee51

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
My TV is an LG 55EF9500 4k OLED with HDR compatibility plugged into a Yamaha RX-A750 receiver. If I plug my Pro straight to the TV, I get full 4k HDR, but lose my 7.1 channel surround. When I plug the Pro up through the receiver, it says I can only do 2k HDR. I'm not sure why that is. The TV and receiver both support HDCP 2.2 and have HDMI 2.0a. I'm using Pearl Audioquest HDMI cables, so I don't believe that is the issue either. I don't get the option to use 2160p RGB for the resolution unless I'm plugged straight into the TV. I understand HDMI 2.0 does not have enough bandwidth to support 4k @60hz HDR 10 bit at 4:4:4 but I should have the option to choose between them. Any ideas? My receiver usually does full pass through when I use the Samsung 4k disc player through the receiver. I also have all 3 HDMI ports set to HDMI ultra HD deep color settings. If there is any information I missed, please ask.

Since I couldn't get this to work, I tried running the PS4 through HDMI 1 on my TV, and my receiver is plugged up to HDMI 2 (ARC) on the TV, but I can only seem to get 2 channel stereo to pass through.

Solution
The receiver needs to be set to 4K - Mode 1. It's under Advance Settings for the Receiver. Take a look at the manual, it's buried pretty deep.

Instructions:
1. Turn the Unit Off
2. Hold Down the Straight button and Power Button
3. Release
4. Use the left program button on the receiver (not the remote)
5. Select 4K (Mode is probably 2)
6. Press Straight button to change to Mode 1
7. Press Power (unit will power off)
8. Power Back on and Enjoy
2K HDR is 1080p resolution with the added benefit of wider contrast and color range that HDR material has.
Not every input on the receiver may support 4K HDR.
Try the PS4 on the HDMI input that the BD player is connected to.
Try the same cable that works on the BD player. Sometimes expensive cables can have issues that cheaper ones don't.

JayCee51

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016

Yeah the first 3 ports on the receiver do HDR. I've made sure I've tried what you've said and still nothing. I made a post on the PS4 sub reddit and apparantly I'm not the only one with this issue using a Yamaha receiver. Plugged up to the TV, I can get full 4k HDR and the option for 2160p RGB. Plugged up to the receiver, only 2160p YMA420 and only 2k HDR. Not sure what the issue is, since I have the receiver set to direct passthrough.

ddbig67

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
The receiver needs to be set to 4K - Mode 1. It's under Advance Settings for the Receiver. Take a look at the manual, it's buried pretty deep.

Instructions:
1. Turn the Unit Off
2. Hold Down the Straight button and Power Button
3. Release
4. Use the left program button on the receiver (not the remote)
5. Select 4K (Mode is probably 2)
6. Press Straight button to change to Mode 1
7. Press Power (unit will power off)
8. Power Back on and Enjoy

Solution

Lelio_

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

Thank you for this. It worked like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.