Need help with picking headphones

1RuneKing

Estimable
May 1, 2014
I have been going back and forth as to whether i should get a new monitor (currently 1080p 60hz) or buy a new headset/headphone+mic as my headset wasnt the best, and I believe it may be going dead on me.
Because I couldn't decide on if I wanted a 1080p 144hz, or a 1440p 144/60hz or a 4k monitor, IPS or just TN, especially with the money that some of the ones that I looked at costing quite a bit, I'm pretty much going with the headphones side of things.

So I am asking the gamers, and the audio junkies of Ted's Hardware for some help. I need headphone recommendations.
I am wanted closed back, not open back, as I also want noise cancelling and dont want outside sound to bleed in or my sound to bleed out. Wireless would also be a nice plus but isn't necessary.
What I have looked at:
SEnnheiser Game Zero
Astro A50
Astro A40
LG G930
Corsair H2100
Razer Tiamat
I have also looked at Sennheiser's Professional headsets and adding a ModMic to them, but those headsets are all open back that I saw.
What's difficult for me is all of this is online, so i can't hear the headphones, nor listen to what the mic sounds like.

What I will be doing with these will be mostly FPS games, so surround is quite handy, and I do play other games as well. I also enjoy watching movies and listening to music. I also enjoy a strong bass to my music.
200-250 is probably the top-end of what I want to spend on headphones. The sennheisers were 200 on amazon last I saw even though listed as $300 themselves.
My motherboard has a 600ohm audio jack. (Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ).
Hopefully I have provided enough information for you to be able to help me.
(also if you have any monitor suggestions I wont turn them away)

Solution

i did some research they seam fairly solid with some great features although there a little high priced and the sound cancellation isn't the best but it is good overall

mike1996

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014
you can do a couple things here but with out knowing more all i can do is suggest
1-do you like bassy headphones or more tribal or a flat eq or more mids
2-your mother board is not going to put out enough amps to run a 600ohm pair of headphones end of story
3-closed back head phones are passively noise cancelling
4 i can vouch for the mod mic its better than any other built in headphone mic you will ever find
5 i recommend getting a mode mic or something similar, generally headphone with mics built in are over priced and the headphones are sub par, but that's just me it depends on how much you care about the sound, i personally like to be able to use the same pair to game and listen to audio in a reference environment

1RuneKing

Estimable
May 1, 2014

First off I would like to say sorry for taking so long. The notification email was buried.

Anyways, I do enjoy a strong bass.
Also I am just going off of motherboard specifications. Look it up, Z97 gigabyte sli.
Anyways. I like the simplicity of AIO headphones, but if I can get a decent pair of headphones and a mod mic I can consider this. But everytime I go this route people keep suggesting open back, I don't want open back. I want closed.
As far as noise cancelling I was meaning active not just passive. But it's not critical.
I do enjoy movies and music with my headphones

mike1996

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014
well for about 300 you can get a mod mic and...

akg553 my personal favorite, great bass and dose not muddy the rest of the sound but it is not as strong of a bass as others
the vmod and the
beyerdynamic custom one these ones have been getting lots of praise and have great bass i was looking into getting one my self also has adjustable bass

all are in your price range
have fun

1RuneKing

Estimable
May 1, 2014
I will take a look at those and see if I'm interested in going that route.
Now is there anything about the sennheiser zero specifically you'd warn about? I read that it's great.

mike1996

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014

i did some research they seam fairly solid with some great features although there a little high priced and the sound cancellation isn't the best but it is good overall

Solution

1RuneKing

Estimable
May 1, 2014

Then I will likely just take the easy route and go with the ZERO. And if you were talking about the $300 price point being high, amazon has them for $200.
Thanks for your help