Need inputs on finalizing laptop (Purchasing tomorrow)

trackblazer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hello guys...

Planning to purchase a laptop for myself tomorrow.
So i understand its kinda late but the decision just popped up.

My requirements:
1) IBM RAD, Eclipse etc
2) Few gaming sessions. Prefer games like Batman AC.

A) Now the laptop i zeroed in on is Dell XPS 15, with Nvidia GT540. Getting this laptop in 2 flavors:
1) 4GB DDR3
2) 6GB DDR3

Which one should i go for ..?
I am not head over heels for out and out performance (i understand that the GT540 is not a very high end gfx card..) but some decent graphics for Batman AC.

B) XPS 15 is also available with 4GB DDR3 and GT 525 1GB gfx card.
How good is this gfx card for my gaming needs ?

trackblazer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
^ Err thanks for the quick response WR2..
but i am afraid i am quite a noob with my gfx cards knowledge. Although i ll try my best to extract as much info as possible from the links.. but what i really need is a dumbed down advice in black and white that which is the best thing to go ahead with.

GT 540M should get you a good gaming experience on medium graphics settings.

jG6Ix.jpg

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Buy the cheaper RAM config, purchase 8 GB DDR3 laptop ram kit and install it yourself for cheaper.

XPS15 isn't a bad rig, a little on the chunky side but if you were to try the 15z you will lose GPU options. Based on what you want, it's not a bad buy.

ASUS doesn't necessarily give you full customization options but if you're already looking at a chunkier system, this might be worth a look:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G53SX-DH71-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/tech-data/B005PAJHU4/ref=de_a_smtd

trackblazer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
^ Yeah, that one is quite popular as well.. but i somehow think dell is going to serve me more nicely.

And the idea of purchasing cheaper RAM in favor of an upgrade on my own whims and better pricing seems to have been echoed by you as well. Kinda satisfied after your opinion.

@nbelote
Thanks for your input. Puts the butterflies in my belly to rest. :)

@WR2
What sort of Gfx card/laptop will get me good results on maxed out settings?
Just want to put the final nail in the coffin by looking at the pricing of the rigs cuz i know they ll be just out of my reach budgetwise as well as logic wise :p

GeForce GT 555M / GT 635M or Radeon HD 6770M / 7690M are the next step up and don't quite have the GPU power to run Batman:AC maxed out.

You'd have to step up to GTX 560M / GT 650M* or an equivalent AMD graphics card reach that goal for Batman:AC.

HD 6470 is the top graphics card offered in the HP G6 entry level (budget) notebook.
That almost certainly means it's not user replaceable, soldered to the motherboard.

If people don't buy the graphics card they need in the first place, we usually recommend selling that laptop and buying a new one with the right graphics card.

trackblazer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
1) The laptop already is coming with the AMD gpu 1GB.. DDR5
I got the gist that the AMD gpu wont hold out in front of the Dell's GT 540... but will DDR5 be making a significant difference in front of GT 540 2GB?

2) how are asus laptops regarding quality and durability ?
more specifically
Asus K53SV-SX521D

1). VRAM; 1GB vs 2GB, DDR3 vs DDR5, really doesn't make a significant difference @ 1366x768 resolution in low~mid range graphics cards.
None of that can change the bus width, Core/Shader speed, Pipelines, ROP or Texture units which is what really determines performance.
HD 6470M is 64bit bus, GT 540M has 128bit bus.

2). Roughly equal or slightly better with any other laptop in the same price range. It's a preferred brand.

Asus K53SV-SX131V Notebook review it's not an exact feature match but the chassis and overall features should be close.

trackblazer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
VRAM; 1GB vs 2GB, DDR3 vs DDR5, really doesn't make a significant difference @ 1366x768 resolution in low~mid range graphics cards.
None of that can change the bus width, Core/Shader speed, Pipelines, ROP or Texture units which is what really determines performance.
HD 6470M is 64bit bus, GT 540M has 128bit bus.

That's something very useful, thanks.

1) The only hurdle which remains is that for the very pricing of Dell XPS 15 (i5/4GB DDR3/GT 540 2GB), i have an offer of HP Pavilion DV6 Series DV6-6121TX (i7 2630QM/4GB DDR3/AMD Radeon HD 6770M 2GB DDR 5)

Seems to be a better config and better deal ?

2) Another HP Vs HP query which ll follow after above's answer :)