Need new computer for programming student

raven500

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
I am about to start school and looking for a new laptop. I want it to be smaller than 17" and not too heavy. I am looking to spend $1600 or less.
I need it for regular school work as well as programming classes such as; linux, java, c++ and more.

I saw the following two but not sure if either is suitable:
Toshiba S55-B5233
i7-4710HQ, 16GB Memory & 1TB Hard Drive, 15.6" (1920x1080)

Lenovo U530 Touch -59421177
15.6", Intel i7, 8GB DDR3, 1Tb Hybrid Hard Drive, NVIDIA GT730

My last thought was a Mac Book Pro 13, 4GB Memory with 500GB Samsuung Solid State Drive & has Mac and Windows 7 loaded through boot camp.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

If you need to run Linux, I believe Clevo/Sager systems can run in a Linux environment (meaning there are drivers for them).

The systems you listed seem fine as far as hardware capability goes as well. Macs are always worth consideration, although you will almost always get more bang for your buck from something other than Apple.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
Since you will be programming you will compiling a lot of code, so I would for one thing buy one with the stronger processor. I personally never liked Toshiba just from personal experience (well, about 8 years ago) but Lenovo has a dedicated GPU but I am not sure how the two CPUs compare. What is the model of the Lenovo's i7?

And don't get a Macbook if you're going to run Ubuntu, people only buy Macbooks because they run Mac. If Macbooks ran Windows who would buy them?

raven500

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014

There is no model it just says Lenovo 4th generation i7 & processor speed 2.0Ghz (Turbo up to 2.6Ghz). That's all it says on the best buy website. Does that shed anymore light?
My thought about the Mac was I am not sure about Windows 8.
By the way I appreciate the input I want to make sure I get a decent computer.

G

I think it'd be awesome if you managed to buy one and triple boot (Windows, Mac and Linux). As far as I am concerned you should learn everything about computers :p. There's also the fact that it'd be a pain in the ass if you were to develop something for iOS/OSX from Windows/Linux

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

That is true, this could be done well on a Macbook Pro.