Need some help deciding on video security cameras.

TC_Waffles

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
Our church is about to hire a company to install security cameras. The primary need for the cameras is to protect the children and infants in the nursery / children wing. We have three quotes, each with a different camera brand.

Honeywell: H2S2P6
Speco: O2DP9
Hikvision: HIK-DS2CD2732FIS

The difference in price isn't much between the three quotes. But i'd like to get input on which is the best for our needs. I've tried searching via google and amazon, but have not had much luck.

kanewolf

Judicious
Hikvision -- Highest resolution (3MP vs 2MP for the other 2)
Speco and Hikvision both have IR capabilities -- Not really useful for areas with active people that will be lighted
Speco has wider field of view (3.7mm lens) compared to Honeywell (4.0mm lens). Hikvision has manual zoom lens which might be able to better cover you desired field of view.

Speco doesn't say anything about on-board SDHC support, other two do have on-board SDHC support. That is a beneficial feature.

All are POE capable

Honeywell probably looks most attractive, probably least noticeable. Hikvision probably most noticeable. Noticeable might be a good thing.

TC_Waffles

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015

From the sound of it, looks like Hikvision would be the better option. Not only does it have the higher resolution camera, but it's also the most noticable. Considering the cameras would be in sensitive areas, we would want them to be seen.

kanewolf

Judicious

That is one reason I pointed that "feature" out. Hikvision has a spotty support record if you have to deal directly with them. Make sure you get some agreement with the installer to cover materials for a period of time so that the installer can deal with Hikvision.

TC_Waffles

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015

Yes we would have a 3 year service agreements with the install company. They are a local(ish) company that does the police department, jails, and oil refineries.

With 13 cameras, they include an NVR that's 3 Tb, 16-channel, Up To 5 Megapixel, Integrated 16-port Poe, Hdmi, 4-sata, H.264.

Our needs would be all 13 cameras to function of motion sensor, but then have 6 hours of scheduled recordings. I know all of that can be set up in the NVR. But i'm wondering if the 3TB is enough to have the recordings stored for 5-6 months with the resolution being 3MP.

I'm sure the Honeywell 2MP camera would have a smaller data size and their 6TB NVR would be more than suited for lasting 5-6 months. I'm just unsure if the 3MP cameras with a 3TB NVR is a good combo. I'm wondering if we need to request a 4+ TB NVR

kanewolf

Judicious
I think this is a question you need to ask your installer. He will have a lot more experience with what the actual data rate is from that camera. He should be able to provide a spreadsheet which shows Mb/sec per camera. Knowing that and the number of cameras should allow you to determine storage / day. That should be able to be used to determine storage retention time.