Hi all,

I'm in need of a new laptop, and have narrowed down my choices to:

Acer VN7-791G-79VM
17.3"
Processor: Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2,6 GHz
16 GB DDR3 RAM
2 TB HDD (5400 rpm) + 256 GB SSD
GPU: GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
€1645,35 (including costs of buying office 365, a bag etc.)

or

Alienware 15
15.6"
Processor: Intel Core 4710HQ @ 2.5 GHz
16 GB DDR3L RAM
1 TB HDD (7200 rpm I presume) + 128 GB SSD
GPU: GeForce GTX 970M 3GB
€1843.85 (same as before)

Now, I'm torn between these two. I'm starting college in a few months and I need a high-end laptop capable of playing, well, high-end games.
I do want a laptop that's future-proof, hence why I've gone with 16GB RAM, and the i7's.
But I can't decide for the life of me which one to purchase: The Acer has a larger screen, a slightly faster processor, and double the storage, but according to benchmarks I've looked up for the GTX 970M, the FPS you get with some games on high quality settings is almost twice as high as those you get with the 960M. The 960M does have more VRAM. Plus, the Acer actually looks like a normal laptop, unlike the Alienware one (which, obviously, looks like a true gaming laptop)
What is your opinion on this matter? Which one would you buy? Which one do you believe is 'better'?

Thanks!

P.S. If you know a laptop for around the prices of the two I've mentioned (not much more expensive than the alienware one) that you believe is better than both of them, I'll gladly hear you out :)

Solution
First of all,7200rpm HDDs would run way faster & more quietly that their old 5400rpm brothers...
The CPU would rather be the same for both.
If you'll buy the Alienware,you'll also get a newer GPU.
Sounds like the smoother choice to me.
But,as always,the choice is only taken by the one who will really buy it.

Mota

Estimable
May 7, 2015
Hey Mike, thanks for answering.

When weighed against the Acer's other specs (storage, CPU clock rate), does the Alienware really perform that much better?

Mike BD

Estimable
May 3, 2015
First of all,7200rpm HDDs would run way faster & more quietly that their old 5400rpm brothers...
The CPU would rather be the same for both.
If you'll buy the Alienware,you'll also get a newer GPU.
Sounds like the smoother choice to me.
But,as always,the choice is only taken by the one who will really buy it.

Solution
I would go with th alienware as it is more geared towards gaming than th acer. Plus the gpu is much better and more future proof.

As an alternative, you could look at xotic pc as they have a pretty good range of laptops which are generally cheaper than retailers.