New ASUS GL553VE goes to sleep while using keyboard

Dvx67

Estimable
Jun 30, 2015
I purchased a new ASUS GL553VE laptop this past week. I am having an issue where it keeps randomly going to sleep while I am typing on the keyboard. I have never run into anything like this before. It has happened 3 times while typing this post. Is this possibly a Windows issue or most likely a hardware problem? This has only been out of the box for 2 days so I'm thinking that Amazon is getting this one back.

Solution
For anyone curious.... this laptop has a magnetic sensor to detect when the lid is closed. You can't see it. It is located right under my left wrist as I type. If my wrist is too low, it picks up the metal band on my fitbit and thinks the lid is being closed. I felt pretty stupid once I figured it out. Nothing wrong with the laptop.

Dvx67

Estimable
Jun 30, 2015
For anyone curious.... this laptop has a magnetic sensor to detect when the lid is closed. You can't see it. It is located right under my left wrist as I type. If my wrist is too low, it picks up the metal band on my fitbit and thinks the lid is being closed. I felt pretty stupid once I figured it out. Nothing wrong with the laptop.

Solution

skickaspamhit

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

Yupp, it's the bracelet (magnetic) that puts the laptop to sleep when it touches the area on the left side of the mousepad.
Take of the bracelet and the problem is solved!