New PS3 Firmware Hacked Within 24Hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Sony, I'm getting tired of updating my PS3's firmware. Either stop the mods or roll with it. Possibly you could just let me use Netflix with out of date firmware. I know that your crusade against firmware hacks is only serving to irritate me, someone who wouldn't chop up their firmware. Meanwhile, you're just giving people a challenge. And pissing me off. How about spending more of your time and effort on first party games that are worth the price of admission? Is that too much to ask?

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]I don't see what is good about this. I play many multiplayer games on my PS3 that I can't play with my PC. Because of these douchebags, I need to update way more frequently just to play my godamn multiplayer games. And for what? Pirating a $60 game? Why not wait for it to be $15? You can't afford it and yet you have a PS3? Because of these guys we have lost Linux and not have to deal with pointless firmware updates. I'm all for cool hacks like Kinect on PC, but this is stupid and pointless. Thanks for the updates you asstards.[/citation]

Why do you assume that everyone that's trying to hack the console, or would like to be able to hack the console, is trying to do so to pirate games? Plenty of people want to be able to use their PS3s for the reason they bought it in the first place - as a console that could run Linux.

Alas, no - what they're doing causes an inconvenience to you, so their motivations must be improper and ill-founded, right? Right.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I think it's funny when Sony goes after these "hackers"; it increases the awareness that the PS3 has been cracked, more people want "hacked consoles.

I'm still upset that Sony pull the plug on letting me run Linux on a a PS3 as they oringinally advertised, if anything these "hackers" are just trying to recover a feature that was illegally taken away.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Sony can't beat the hackers, they can release as many updates as they want but no matter what there's always going to be a exploit of some kind, Sony will never be able to make software (well firmware in this case) that is 100% exploit free.

Give it up Sony, you're just chasing your own tail here.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Sony pokes the people who put Linux on the XBox with a stick and doesn't expect this?
This was one of those "obvious to the casual observer" sort of scenarios they created themselves.

battlecarrysabot

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
sony! you suck. you will never win!! its a battle no one company can win. face it, your multimillion dollar investment; the investment you spent so much money on to protect has had its egg shell cracked wide open. so why continue prosecuting geo hot? even if he wanted to, no one can stop the inevitable. you are just spending money on something that can be crack and released in a day, so why go against them? why not hire them, they seem to be smarter then your dumb-ass crew.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]coldmast[/nom]if anything these "hackers" are just trying to recover a feature that was illegally taken away.[/citation]

Illegally taken away? If you think Sony removing Linux support was illegal, why haven't you filed a class action law suit?

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]Why do you assume that everyone that's trying to hack the console, or would like to be able to hack the console, is trying to do so to pirate games? Plenty of people want to be able to use their PS3s for the reason they bought it in the first place - as a console that could run Linux.Alas, no - what they're doing causes an inconvenience to you, so their motivations must be improper and ill-founded, right? Right.[/citation]

Because people who said "I want Linux back" is nothing but full of shit.

I can go get a 500 bux PC right now and it can outperform the PS3. without the restrictions.

those who cry day n night just want to bootleg games, admit it.

those "hackers" are not smart at all, give it enough time anybody can find any system's bug. While I do admit that the way Sony code their master key is kind of stupid, or should I say they just "overlooked" it ? but at least they can create something from scratch. GeoHotz? nothing.

He can go ahead and try to code his own OS from scratch, but he won't cuz he knows nothing is unhackable, it will be sad if someone can break his shit in the matter of days if not hours.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
"It has been brought to my attention that some citizens have discovered ways to... hack the vending machines. I should not need to remind each and every citizen of Rapture that free enterprise is the foundation upon which our society has been established. Parasites will be punished."

Status
Not open for further replies.