New Subwoofer Old Reciever RCA question

Bobby Hilliard

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Connecting an old A/V reciever to a newer model Klipsch xw-100 subwoofer, the subwoofer has RCA inputs so I'm assuming its powered, should I just run an RCA from the sub and cut the ends to normal speaker wire for the outputs on the reciever end? any help would be appreciated

TCTechie

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Yes, your subwoofer has a built in amplifier meaning it's self-powered. What make and model is your old A/V receiver? If we have that information we can do a little research to confirm whether or not you have a subwoofer pre-out connection. If not, then americanaudiophile is correct, you will need a line level adapter to connect the speaker wires from your receiver into the adapter and run RCA cables to your subwoofer. You cannot splice RCA cables into speaker wire. The line levels aren't the same and you run the risk of damaging components.

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I am using a old kenwood Reciever KR-V106R which I adore but lacks any LFE / sub out options

I just ran RCA from the tape 1 rec to the rca inputs on my polk subwoofer.... and adjust the volume on the polk to what I like for the room / listening preferences

working alright for me here.... if you got tape out might well work for you also.

TCTechie

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Good thinking. I didn't think about tape out. Does your Klipsch have crossover settings so you can select your frequency response range? Just wondering since your tape out connection is going to send all frequencies to the sub.