Nintendo Nukes Homebrew, Piracy on DSi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The 4.2 update already tried this and they found a workaround. The system is already tore up from the floor up, the mod community knows all the iOSs and works around them. PS3 isn't safe either, the hole's there, now all mods need to is find workarounds for their walls.

I still can't imagine why you people complain about price though, it's always been 50 for new releases and there's always been garbage games. If you're stupid and buy garbage that's your own problem, read a review before you buy something next time. Better yet, get Gamefly and rent everything yourself first. Until then I have some magic beans you might be interested in.

gamingn00b

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]on another note, it'll only take a few more weeks before the hackers find a work around. new update, new work around, rinse and repeat[/citation]

+1

i know a guy we get this major discount on MS office software from our employer like 200$ off. and he goes..."oh you bought it?" "im not gonna buy it just gonna download it for free."

facepalm man....

gamingn00b

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
first time posting and i clicked on the wrong quote icon

[citation][nom]gamingn00b[/nom]+1i know a guy we get this major discount on MS office software from our employer like 200$ off. and he goes..."oh you bought it?" "im not gonna buy it just gonna download it for free."facepalm man....[/citation]

quoted the wrong person
meant to quote

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i strongly disagree. this is 100% false, you can't possibly think piracy will die even with small prices on games.there are plenty of people in this world that want something for nothing. the only way piracy would die, if games were free.[/citation]

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]screechy[/nom]More expensive for the developers = more expensive for consumers = more pirates = pissed off nintendo.[/citation]

"pissed off nintendo" ??
Nintendo can kiss my @ss. I have a Wii. It is NOT modded. We OWN our games. Nothing copied, etc. Totally legal. Completely paid. Still. I feel entirely anti-mega-corporation toward companies like Nintendo (&Sony).

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]processthis[/nom]He means it will potentially impair people from enjoying their Wii (which is hardware they bought and own) the way they want to (e.g. homebrew).This is like Steve Jobs saying jailbreaking harms the iPhone experience so no one is allowed to do it.1. That's a lie.2. Shouldn't people be able to decide at their own risk what they want to do with their hardware? If the whole "experience" is for the owner of the hardware, who is Nintendo to decide what is or isn't a "better experience" for the owner?3. Everyone knows those aren't real reasons, Nintendo and Apple.[/citation]

I have come to accept the fundamental truth:
Anything Steve Jobs of Apple says = "That's a lie."
Easy to understand, like F=MA. ;o)

Damn, I h8 that guy.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i strongly disagree. this is 100% false, you can't possibly think piracy will die even with small prices on games.there are plenty of people in this world that want something for nothing. the only way piracy would die, if games were free.[/citation]
Agreed, though people would still try to pirate free games.

wmalinowski

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Doesn't bother me..... I don't have homebrew installed and don't planning to have it installed any time ever. If I want a game, I will have save for it....I don't and won't pirate any game for any reason.

G

Firmware 4.3 is broken already. Seems they found a way for upgraded units to downgrade to a system menu friendly to hacking.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
thieves will be thieves. people will justify by saying they aren't willing to pirate games; and that is unfortunatly the cycle

i will be happy if nintendo can get leeches off thier property and when people want a game they actually have to buy them. nintendo is a good company but they work for money and when you pirae thier games you are taking thier work without compensatingng them, its liek dining and dashing and it is stealing. i hope their new firmware helps them not only stop people but catch and procecute some so those thiefs can get the fines/jail time they deserve

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]And still more workarounds will be found. The day official games can be bought under $15 will be the day piracy dies.People want value. Spending $50 in a game that the next year will be $20 is fairly ridiculous.[/citation]
That is why I trypically wait a year or so for games to decrease in value then buy a used one for $20 instead of the rediculus $50 and $60 release price tags. (The only exceptions I make are for top quality games the I just can't wait for like StarCraft II and I will likely pay full price for Half-Life 3 and HL2 Episode 3.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Ahh.. Ohhh! Huuu! now all the consoles are suffering from a piracy attack! May be, just may be, as gaming PC market "dying". All the gamers, buy consoles and start doing the same they did on the PC.
There is no turn around for a dog biting it's tail folks..
Piracy is gonna overcome at last, it's too big to fight it.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Piracy is like crime : you can't eradicate it, but you have to keep on trying anyway. If a console manufacturer doesn't at least try to keep piracy at bay, developpers will turn away from this console, because they're less money to be made. It's a wheel, you gotta get it spinning or else everybody lose.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
It's really a shame that they gave no thought at all to the 2% of homebrewers who only use it for legitimate reasons. Just because the remaining 98% use it for piracy, the tiny, irrelevant fraction of legit users is left in the cold.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
OMFG, the Wii was such a waste of money. Every time the drive light flashes to let me know there is a software update ready, I get my hopes up that it will maybe, just MAYBE include something like 16:9 support or, god forbid, 720p! Instead, it's just another homebrew nuke update. Netflix and all the games will still look just as shitty on my flatscreen TV. Thanks, Nintendo!!!

G

Homebrew channel is awesome, it allows me to use my wii as a dvd/media player

I have enjoyed a great many of nintendo's platform from super famicon to Gamecube (yes even the silly gamecube) but really the wii was the only one that made me want to hate nintendo, very poor software, i would say at least 80% if not 90% of the titles out there for the wii is pure garbageware, never brought them never will, but it is sad to stand in front the wii game selection in a store being confronted with 80% garbage

The wimote was a nice idea until you realize it nothing like you wanted (too imprecise) and to get that you have to pay extra for the addon motion plus (the wii was promoted as a family gaming system to me that means 2 if not 4 wimotes, thats an expensive upgrade)

I could almost forgive them for not having HD support (the few games i did buy for the wii was enjoyable and did not felt like lacking of HD) but to not support a feature which the wii was theoretically capable of was just stupid

But what really got me was that after all these years not a single decent fishing game was released for the wii, yes that probably makes me a very sad individual but the first thing i thought when i saw the wimote was hell that make one fun fishing game experience every single one of them felt like they were designed for 10 year olds with the attention span of 5 mins

And then there was the wiiware, i thought finally if i cant get decent titles from nintendo's maybe i can make one (maybe a fishing one), heck i might even had grabbed a few motion plus so i can play around with developing something, but that was shot down rapidly with the step requirements, i would understand if they wanted to keep out garbage, but come on the wii was already a garbage collector

as a gaming platform the wii really was a failure, it failed to prove the principle that conceived it, that quality content can ace cutting edge tehcnology

and yet.... there's this little part of me who wants nintendo to learn from their mistakes and make the next platform everything the wii was suppose to be

G

It's funny to see how consoles are experiencing the same piracy issues as PCs. In a way, it's even easier to pirate on consoles. I have 2 Xbox 360s. All I had to do was flash the DVD firmware from my PC. I never even had to touch them again after that. I probably have 150 games that I downloaded from the newsgroups, burned to DVD and played. $400 investment for years of fun !!!

G

Okay I have Homebrew and I haven't pirated a single game on my Wii. I only use it because it makes it easy to run modded games like SSB Brawl+. If my Homebrew Channel ever disappeared I doubt I'd ever turn my Wii on again. And by extension never buy a game again either.

I don't fault developers for not having a perfect game out of the box, but for a modern game to not even be able to receive updates...

Status
Not open for further replies.