No 1070m or 1080m?? What does that mean?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Hey guys,
As you know Pascal and Polaris were released this year. I was about to buy a new laptop but have been waiting for them to release the 1080m or 1070m so the laptop would be able to run the latest games for quite a few years. However, I am now disappointed at the rumors that Nvidia do not plan to release the mobile versions of pascal and will instead implement full desktop size pascal GPUs in laptops. Now one thing that is confusing me is that does that mean all laptop that will have them will be bu;lky and thick due to it's large size? Because I want to buy a very slim but powerful gaming laptop. Similar dimensions to the Razer Blade. And if so, then should I just buy a laptop with a 980 now? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Solution

The 1080m will have essentially the same power draw as a 980m, and is speculated to have...

Draixz

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014
Hi, I recently graduated from university myself, and let me tell you, laptops are overrated. I started with a light gaming laptop, and after one year, built my desktop, and almost never touched my laptop. A tablet or a non gaming laptop would serve you far better, for portability, and you could build a machine while you're there. Trust me, it's rare you'll need a that much power when you meet classmates to study. It's a more financially sound decision to build a machine and use a small laptop or tablet for studying.

ASilver

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Personally I'm gonna wait. I've had my eyes on the Aorus X5 for some time now. They're not much thicker than a MacBook pro and they usually run the SLI GPUs and are the thinnest on the market. I'm going to wait a bit and they'll probably release my ideal size with 1060m's in SLI so I'll be quite happy with that at the $2500 price tag.

Chugalug_

Estimable

You do realise that a $2500 gaming rig can easily get you SLI 1080s, an i7 6700k and an AIO cooler right......
The fact that they will be thin means that the battery life will be even shorter.
You need to consider that if you use gaming laptops, you'll always be:
1. Always be overpaying for hardware.
2. Always have poor battery life when gaming.
3. Selling off the laptop as outdated hardware which there will be a small market for.
4. Will most of the time be pushing 60hz rather than the 144hz you can get with a desktop PC.

Chugalug_

Estimable

I have read OPs comments.
He will be travelling soon and wants a laptop to play games on while doing so.
I've told him that for the short period he will be travelling that it is not worth the investment of a gaming laptop when he will be using it for such a short duration.
He will then be moving to Canada to continue his studies, where PC parts are still quite cheap.
We are saying that unless you are constantly on the move, or moving between locations frequently and regularly, it is not worth getting a gaming laptop for the price most are going at currently/will be going at.
For the same price you can build yourself a GTX 1080 desktop PC with an i7 6700k, and grab a good workstation laptop which can run esports titles maxed 60fps and other games on lowish settings to tide you over while travelling.

Additionally while travelling, your experience will be miles better if you spend your time actually taking in the environments and cultures around you rather than sitting in a hotel room playing video games all day! :)
So that's also something to consider. The negatives of poor battery life, high temperatures and a heavy form factor for a laptop simply are not worth it for OPs use, and I am attempting to persuade him to spend his money where it will go further, and where it will be better used rather than wasted.

That is all.

ubware

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

I'm in the same position as OP. Sometimes it isn't possible to buy even an itx system for university. (You can't pack all that on a plane, and if you do it is another 200$ to check all the extra luggage for the case, monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc.) It's easier to just pack a laptop that you can use for gaming, cause if you pack a thin and light laptop AND a PC for gaming, you're now packing two pieces instead of one. Desktops are always better bang for the buck obviously, but sometimes its okay to pay for a little convenience.

ReviewFever

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

I have a different opinion because money isnt a concern. I bought the aorus x7 dt which is less than 1" thick, is extremely light, and is better than a $1500 desktop.

If you need a good computer and don't want to be bogged down to a single room all the time then buy the gaming laptop. Especially if money isnt a concern. There are more than a few gaming laptops that will outperform a good gaming desktop and as i said before, you just end up paying a premium to have the ability to do massive workloads and play games if you want to but not have to pack up an entire computer and ship it around to wherever you are travelling.

ReviewFever

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
And another point if you keep mentioning battery life, almost every college classroom has outlets at each desk station because everyone takes notes electronically. I said before stay near an outlet if you are working under load and if you want to do work and cant be near an outlet then get a new generation alienware 17 because that battery gets 317 minutes on battery.

Go to notebookcheck.net and look up all the gaming laptops you are considering as almost every gaming laptop is reviewed there to an extent of 15 pages of in depth spec checks from temperatures to benchmarks to real life use, battery life, to good and bad components.

Chugalug_

Estimable

Even so, it would be very heavy and impractical to carry around unless you go for the absolute high end gaming laptops that are paper thin! :eek:
Pricing is just stupid on those things though, in no way a good investment unless you're loaded. :)
Where I am in AUS, there aren't power points at every desk or in every room at Uni.
In the eyes of our Unis, it is seen as a waste of money to spend such large amounts of money on power points when it could be better spent on facilities, textbooks/resources or equipment. There are however powerpoints in study rooms, so there's that.
Again, as I mentioned, thermals and weight are the two big killers here for me.

Woodzstack

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

Woodzstack

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
The 1070M or 1080M do not exist, the naming is N17E-G2 and N17E-G3, and they are larger cards, equivalent of the MXM 980 DT model you have that was 200W for the Clevo's I sell.

zaratustra89

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Why don´t you buy the stealth? (http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-stealth).Get the Razer core combo and you're good to go. Also MSI and Asus have their own version I think.
So, you know, mobility, battery life, looks awesome, will run absolutely everything,QHD, not as expensive as a heavy duty GLaptop, you can upgrade for quite a while to new graphics cards, not much of a downside I think.
:)

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016

They're being released at Gamescom which is happening this month from the 17th till the 21st. It is also predicted that ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE and Clevo may release their laptops that contain the gpus at the event as well.

Brian_99

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
Any chance laptops with a full desktop version (such as with sager or origin and so on) will be released then as well? I am primarily interested in a full 1070, or even a 1080 if they can make it work.

Stone Cold Steve

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I remember a friend who criticized me recently for buying a gaming laptop when he pointed out is expensive, poor battery performance and more. So i told him to meet me at a Starbucks 3 blocks from his apartment so we could play some games. Obviously he didn't show up and i was really disappointed not seeing him bring his desktop. That's the last time i heard him talk about my laptop. lol

TRENDING THREADS