No 1070m or 1080m?? What does that mean?!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Hey guys,
As you know Pascal and Polaris were released this year. I was about to buy a new laptop but have been waiting for them to release the 1080m or 1070m so the laptop would be able to run the latest games for quite a few years. However, I am now disappointed at the rumors that Nvidia do not plan to release the mobile versions of pascal and will instead implement full desktop size pascal GPUs in laptops. Now one thing that is confusing me is that does that mean all laptop that will have them will be bu;lky and thick due to it's large size? Because I want to buy a very slim but powerful gaming laptop. Similar dimensions to the Razer Blade. And if so, then should I just buy a laptop with a 980 now? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Solution

The 1080m will have essentially the same power draw as a 980m, and is speculated to have...

Stone Cold Steve

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I remember a friend who criticized me recently for buying a gaming laptop when he pointed out is expensive, poor battery performance and more. So i told him to meet me at a Starbucks 3 blocks from his apartment so we could play some games. Obviously he didn't show up and i was really disappointed not seeing him bring his desktop. That's the last time i heard him talk about my laptop. lol

Chugalug_

Estimable
Now that the laptops are out, it is entirely viable to buy a gaming laptop! :) (Woohoo!)
But it is still extremely expensive, and for college etc. for most people, it is still the best option to get something like a mini ITX desktop PC and a workstation laptop, as it is FAR better value.
Also @StoneColdSteve, how could you expect him to show up if he didn't have a laptop?
People own stuff for their own personal use, and if he's not on the move frequently, it seems obvious he wouldn't have a great gaming laptop. :/
Personally though, i'm not sure in what situation you could viably game on the go with a gaming laptop though.
I mean for a good experience you'd have to lug around a thick laptop with a mouse and mousemat, and additionally the battery doesn't last long, and the thermals are poor in most cases.
Only application I can see is frequent international travel.

Varshan191

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
get a laptop with 1060 and save your money instead of going with 980(m).because 1060 is powerful than 980m and on par with 980.u can get a very slim laptop with 1060.

Tyler_107

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I have an msi gt80 gaming laptop. it has dual 980 (m) cards running sli. I also have a rig with a 1080. Graphically in a benchmark comparison between the two on sli supported games my laptop annihilates my rig. If the game is poorly optimized or does not have sli support my desktop is better, but not nearly as much better. As far as pc gamers are concerned the idea of a gaming laptop is stupid. I disagree and have continued to put 90% of people's gaming pc's to shame with my laptop. Understand however, top of the line gaming laptops are between 3600 and 6000 dollars. 980ti desktop cards will continue to preform top class for several more years, and the only reason to jump ship to 1080s is for "future proofing". I assure you 980s including the mobile, and titans are plenty future proof.