No 1070m or 1080m?? What does that mean?!

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Hey guys,
As you know Pascal and Polaris were released this year. I was about to buy a new laptop but have been waiting for them to release the 1080m or 1070m so the laptop would be able to run the latest games for quite a few years. However, I am now disappointed at the rumors that Nvidia do not plan to release the mobile versions of pascal and will instead implement full desktop size pascal GPUs in laptops. Now one thing that is confusing me is that does that mean all laptop that will have them will be bu;lky and thick due to it's large size? Because I want to buy a very slim but powerful gaming laptop. Similar dimensions to the Razer Blade. And if so, then should I just buy a laptop with a 980 now? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Solution

The 1080m will have essentially the same power draw as a 980m, and is speculated to have...

Chugalug_

Estimable

A laptop with a desktop 980 seems perfectly fine.
There are suspicions that the 1070 and 1080 will not in fact be released in the form of a mobile chip, but will instead launch in laptops as full desktop variants, although i'm not sure how voltage regulation and temps will do in this case.
Maybe the 1080 will have a mobile variant and the 1070 will be given the full desktop performance treatment due to its lower voltage draw which is similar to the models which were given a full desktop model in laptops last generation such as the 980.

I would not buy now however.
You typically find with prebuilt laptops with components pre-installed, once a newer architecture in this case releases, the price of the last generation products will drop dramatically in order to clear stock as fast as possible and increase profit margins before they become obsolete or less in demand.
If you desperately want to buy now however, go for it, however I recommend waiting to buy so you can get the best deal.
May I ask why you need a gaming laptop?
They typically have poor battery life and generate a lot of heat, with most lasting around 2-3 hours max under gaming load. If you are moving between houses a mini ITX PC will give you much better value for money, and serve the same purpose.
Sorry if the wording was a bit strange, tricky thing to explain! :)

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Hey! No don't worry the wording was perfectly understandable! And cool thanks for the advice that makes total sense.
And the reason I need it is because I will be travelling a lot and I will also be going to uni in a year. So I cant bring an actual build with me. But do you think I should wait till next year and buy the laptop then?

spruce11

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
that's not what I've heard. Now more and more people using laptops instead of desktops for the portability and the aggressively improved capabilities, nvidia would surely release the mobile version or at least they'd make it thin enough to implant in a lighter laptop, otherwise, they would lose the market. as for staying with 980(m) or not, my feeling is 980(m) will still be quite powerful for a while. if nvidia launches new series every year, actually you won't always get the latest series. if you're not in a hurry to have one, maybe wait for its launch and test it in person. 980(m) should have a price drop then, and you can make a better decision.

Chugalug_

Estimable

That is incorrect.
There is quite a small market for gaming laptops compared to desktop PCs in the community, i'd estimate it to be something like 4-1 or more, which results in price inflation.
Gaming laptops suffer from high thermal output, thick profiles and poor battery life compared to the standard workstation laptop or ultrabook.
This is also the full desktop 980 we're talking about here, not the 980m, so battery life will still be worse in comparison to that.
In response to OP, if you are travelling a lot, don't bring a gaming laptop with you. In hindsight it is a poor investment of money as it offers very little in terms of upgradability.
If you are travelling, give up video games for a bit and enjoy the local environment and culture. Its best to enjoy temporary experiences without heavy technology.
In your case I recommend bringing something like maybe an old laptop or ultrabook with you on your holiday, so you can keep track of all of your stuff and stay organised if you are not travelling in a group.
You'll find that after you have that initial use for a gaming laptop regardless you'll be using it at your desk plugged in all the time, which defeats the purpose of a gaming laptop all together.
Note that also the costs will always be high for these types of laptops.

This costs $2879 at the moment. https://www.amazon.com/XOTIC-P870DM-G-i7-6700-7200RPM-Computer/dp/B0184DFKWM
Here is an example of what desktop you could buy with that money.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MMwnHN
HUGE DIFFERENCE.
A kickass gaming desktop with top of the line specs, amazing temps, overclocking capability and great visuals that you'll use for a long time?
Or a laptop which will be relevant for another couple of years before falling behind?
Hell, the desktop will even get cheaper over time, as new components will launch, allowing you to put even better performance into your build.
Its your choice if you still want to jump on it, but I don't want you to pour money into a laptop like this if prices are that high. The max I would recommend buying one at is $1500, so if you can find a deal like that go for it, but otherwise wait.
I recommend waiting it out and making do with what you have right now, because the difference you get with a pc is much better.

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Hmm I completely understand where you're coming from. I already have an amazing build of my own :p The main reason for the laptop is that I wont be able to take my rig with me to University (In another country). That's my main reason for getting a gaming laptop. But it will also be needed to be used for normal uni work, therefore it needs to be very portable. If the new blade had an 8GB 980m I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately it doesn't. Im hoping similar laptops soon come out with 1070ms or 1080ms. Got any more advice? I really appreciate everything!

Chugalug_

Estimable

I honestly still think that you're better off getting a cheap i5 workstation laptop seperate, and then building a gaming PC later on, as gaming laptops have very poor battery life (A few hours on a good day), and are not good for using around Uni due to their weight and lack of portability.
Get something like this, which is an absolute bargain atm and build an ITX or mid tower PC when you go to Uni: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Notebook-15-ay011nr-15-6-Inch-Processor/dp/B01CGGOZOM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468825772&sr=8-3&keywords=i5+laptop

The battery on balanced settings under a regular workstation load (word, email, excel etc.) is rated at 7 hours, which should be perfect for you. I understand what you mean in regards to going to another country, but if you ship your PC using a local trusted mail service under fragile with warranty, you'll be set. Alternatively you can just build the PC in said country.
What country are you going to for Uni may I ask?
Just so I can finalize an opinion.
If you want a good mix of the two, the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is a good in between with 4.5 hours of battery life and a 960M graphics chip.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ

loafer987

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np9870-g-clevo-p870dm-g-review-by-htwingnut.784981/

This laptop comes with a desktop 980. and uses mxm 3.0b format videocards (100% upgradable) so you can upgrade to the 1080 when it gets launched (next month from the sound of it)
If you read the review, it still gets about 3 hours of battery life watching a movie or wifi browsing. Of course you'll pay for the ability to do all of this in laptop form, however if the budget is there this is the laptop I would want.

Chugalug_

Estimable

If you are watching a movie on a gaming laptop, you might as well get a workstation, as you're not even using the graphics card at that point. Watching a movie or wifi browsing as you call it takes barely any processing power, let alone a graphics card. Hell, you can do it on your phone!
In practice, that laptop gets 1 1/2 hours under gaming load, another problem with desktop gaming laptops I explained above.

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Ahh, and the country is Canada :)

Chugalug_

Estimable

Mor than likely the battery power will still suffer majorly as with all gaming laptops atm.
Remember that these probably won't come out for another few months, and will be extremely expensive when they do due to high demand....
I think you're making a mistake here, even though the performance of the laptops are good, expect the price to match that....

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Doubt the battery power part as they are more efficient than the 900 line. (980,970,960).
And the cash is not a problem at the moment,, hopefully it says that way :)

Chugalug_

Estimable

The 1080m will have essentially the same power draw as a 980m, and is speculated to have similar power to a 980ti. It will have pretty much the same battery life.
The 1070m will most likely see slight increases in this category, but keep in mind that it will only be something like a 15% increase if any.
Under regular use you may see slightly better battery life, but gaming load on laptops will give you a rough battery life of 2 hours with this new generation of cards.
I urge you to keep in mind that you are also essentially paying the same price as a VERY high end desktop for a gaming laptop that won't last as long in terms of relevance, will have increased temperatures and poor battery life.
You seem extremely insistent on buying a gaming laptop, so I don't see the point in consulting forums if you had already made your mind up beforehand.
I've suggested the optimal path economically for you, which is get a workstation laptop that can run esports titles such as CS:GO, overwatch and League, and build a rig in Canada when you go to Uni, as part prices will be moderately similar to the US, just a tiny bit pricier.

Solution

Chugalug_

Estimable
Note that when I mention battery life increases, I mean mostly exclusively with the 1070m, as the 1080m has only a little less power draw than a 980, meaning it will have minimal impact.
Best case scenario it will be 2 and a bit hours of gaming load, and this is optimally, say a 25% increase if they include a higher capacity battery and a 1070m.
This will be extremely unlikely though, as it would be a roughly 70% increase over laptops made a year ago with the same voltage draws, meaning probably not going to happen unless you have 3.5k in the bank.

Draixz

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014
Hi, I recently graduated from university myself, and let me tell you, laptops are overrated. I started with a light gaming laptop, and after one year, built my desktop, and almost never touched my laptop. A tablet or a non gaming laptop would serve you far better, for portability, and you could build a machine while you're there. Trust me, it's rare you'll need a that much power when you meet classmates to study. It's a more financially sound decision to build a machine and use a small laptop or tablet for studying.

ASilver

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Personally I'm gonna wait. I've had my eyes on the Aorus X5 for some time now. They're not much thicker than a MacBook pro and they usually run the SLI GPUs and are the thinnest on the market. I'm going to wait a bit and they'll probably release my ideal size with 1060m's in SLI so I'll be quite happy with that at the $2500 price tag.

Chugalug_

Estimable

You do realise that a $2500 gaming rig can easily get you SLI 1080s, an i7 6700k and an AIO cooler right......
The fact that they will be thin means that the battery life will be even shorter.
You need to consider that if you use gaming laptops, you'll always be:
1. Always be overpaying for hardware.
2. Always have poor battery life when gaming.
3. Selling off the laptop as outdated hardware which there will be a small market for.
4. Will most of the time be pushing 60hz rather than the 144hz you can get with a desktop PC.