No 1070m or 1080m?? What does that mean?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Hey guys,
As you know Pascal and Polaris were released this year. I was about to buy a new laptop but have been waiting for them to release the 1080m or 1070m so the laptop would be able to run the latest games for quite a few years. However, I am now disappointed at the rumors that Nvidia do not plan to release the mobile versions of pascal and will instead implement full desktop size pascal GPUs in laptops. Now one thing that is confusing me is that does that mean all laptop that will have them will be bu;lky and thick due to it's large size? Because I want to buy a very slim but powerful gaming laptop. Similar dimensions to the Razer Blade. And if so, then should I just buy a laptop with a 980 now? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Solution

The 1080m will have essentially the same power draw as a 980m, and is speculated to have...

ASilver

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
I am aware of your opinion on what "you" like in a computer as you have stated in every reply that you prefer desktop/low end laptop or mini atx cases.

He wants a laptop as do I. We all know pcs here as we are talking bout the difference between mobile and desktop GPUs. We also all know their capacity to be modified in that respect, but some of us still prefer laptops.

The original question was one based on the viability of buying a laptop now or deal with thickness in laptops with desktop GPUs or whether to wait for the possibility of 1080m coming to the market which has already been answered that it is coming. If you want to help the guy please focus on the question at hand of laptops and provide more information on that, so he has more info to base his decision upon...

Chugalug_

Estimable

I have read OPs comments.
He will be travelling soon and wants a laptop to play games on while doing so.
I've told him that for the short period he will be travelling that it is not worth the investment of a gaming laptop when he will be using it for such a short duration.
He will then be moving to Canada to continue his studies, where PC parts are still quite cheap.
We are saying that unless you are constantly on the move, or moving between locations frequently and regularly, it is not worth getting a gaming laptop for the price most are going at currently/will be going at.
For the same price you can build yourself a GTX 1080 desktop PC with an i7 6700k, and grab a good workstation laptop which can run esports titles maxed 60fps and other games on lowish settings to tide you over while travelling.

Additionally while travelling, your experience will be miles better if you spend your time actually taking in the environments and cultures around you rather than sitting in a hotel room playing video games all day! :)
So that's also something to consider. The negatives of poor battery life, high temperatures and a heavy form factor for a laptop simply are not worth it for OPs use, and I am attempting to persuade him to spend his money where it will go further, and where it will be better used rather than wasted.

That is all.

thormejh

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Why is still an argument people make. Guess what. Some people want a gaming laptop for many different reasons. I worked out of state for a year straight. I should've just given up gaming for a year? What kind of stupid answer is that. Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs. Stop acting like desktops are the only reasonable thing to buy when gaming laptops are getting better and better. My laptop has the 980m and its heavy. But it does all of my work and plays any game at 1080p. That's worth the extra weight to me. Everyone's different. Don't ever forget that.

ReviewFever

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

This guy is overly opinionated.

Many gaming laptops offer the same punch as current non 10 series desktops. If you are looking for mobile functionality be near an outlet. And over half of the newest gaming laptops aside from asus and hp (because they solder the gpu and cpu) ate offering upgradability for cpu and gpu.

The fact he had to ask why you need a gaming laptop shows he just sits in his room all day doing nothing.

There is a huge market for gaming laptops or there wouldnt be so many iterations and the new laptop 10 series cards will begin coming out most likely starting with MSI since they tend to get newer cards first.

I have 2 gaming quality desktops and 1 gaming quality laptop currently and the reason having a gaming laptop for traveling makes sense is becaust sticking it in your briefcase and being able to video edit, compile coding programs, generate 3d renderings and game if you want to is a lot easier than trying to get through customs with a monitor, tower, and kb/mouse. Not to even think what that would do to your tower internals being thrown around by baggage handlers or worrying about losing your luggage at the destination.

Acer predators offer a 15 inch so-so computer for $1500-2000.

Clevo offers a full desktop 6700k i7 and desktop gtx 980 for $2500-4000 in 15 or 17"

Or go for an Aurus x7 dt which gives you a 6820hk and desktop 980 all in under 2 cm thickness

The aurus is the thinnest and does throttle under heat but using a cooling mat keeps it within measurable norms

On firestrike standard benchmarks those computers average:

Acer. 8,500
Clevo. 12,000
Aurus. 10,500

All are on par with a 9xx series $1500 desktop

If you want the laptop pay the premium for the benefits and don't buy into the hype. Do your due diligence and research, but for Gods sake don't believe that a gaming laptop is bound to bring a giant, clunky, weight of hot lava.

I also recommend the Asus g701 and MSI gt72s if you get them with the 980 desktop model theyre fantastic but you should expect to pay $4000 or more for the proper configuration. Though they are not offered in a sub 17" package so that does need to be considered. Benchmarks are negligible between them at north of 11,000 on standard firestrike.

ubware

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

I'm in the same position as OP. Sometimes it isn't possible to buy even an itx system for university. (You can't pack all that on a plane, and if you do it is another 200$ to check all the extra luggage for the case, monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc.) It's easier to just pack a laptop that you can use for gaming, cause if you pack a thin and light laptop AND a PC for gaming, you're now packing two pieces instead of one. Desktops are always better bang for the buck obviously, but sometimes its okay to pay for a little convenience.

Chugalug_

Estimable

Bit different from OP in this situation, he is going to Uni in Canada, where parts are quite cheap, and wants to do casual gaming on a laptop while travelling.
Since during travelling it is unlikely you'll be gaming most of the time, i've suggested that he buy a workstation laptop with say 960m graphics to do gaming like CSGO and League while travelling, before buying a beast rig when he goes to Uni.
The performance to price ratio is much better with desktop rigs, so best to try and buy one if you can.
In addition, if OP DOES get a gaming laptop for example, if he intends to use this for school work as well, it will quickly run out of battery due to the graphics in the laptop, meaning that it will be heavy, and near useless in regular on the go workstation application.
See above for the price difference in performance.

ReviewFever

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

I have a different opinion because money isnt a concern. I bought the aorus x7 dt which is less than 1" thick, is extremely light, and is better than a $1500 desktop.

If you need a good computer and don't want to be bogged down to a single room all the time then buy the gaming laptop. Especially if money isnt a concern. There are more than a few gaming laptops that will outperform a good gaming desktop and as i said before, you just end up paying a premium to have the ability to do massive workloads and play games if you want to but not have to pack up an entire computer and ship it around to wherever you are travelling.

ReviewFever

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
And another point if you keep mentioning battery life, almost every college classroom has outlets at each desk station because everyone takes notes electronically. I said before stay near an outlet if you are working under load and if you want to do work and cant be near an outlet then get a new generation alienware 17 because that battery gets 317 minutes on battery.

Go to notebookcheck.net and look up all the gaming laptops you are considering as almost every gaming laptop is reviewed there to an extent of 15 pages of in depth spec checks from temperatures to benchmarks to real life use, battery life, to good and bad components.

Chugalug_

Estimable

Even so, it would be very heavy and impractical to carry around unless you go for the absolute high end gaming laptops that are paper thin! :eek:
Pricing is just stupid on those things though, in no way a good investment unless you're loaded. :)
Where I am in AUS, there aren't power points at every desk or in every room at Uni.
In the eyes of our Unis, it is seen as a waste of money to spend such large amounts of money on power points when it could be better spent on facilities, textbooks/resources or equipment. There are however powerpoints in study rooms, so there's that.
Again, as I mentioned, thermals and weight are the two big killers here for me.

Woodzstack

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

Woodzstack

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
The 1070M or 1080M do not exist, the naming is N17E-G2 and N17E-G3, and they are larger cards, equivalent of the MXM 980 DT model you have that was 200W for the Clevo's I sell.

Brian_99

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
I think many of you are missing the point. Yes, a desktop or mini ITX would be more powerful, future proof, and affordable, but that's not what we need. Students travelling, such as the one who started this discussion and myself, need portable platforms such as the Razer Blade 2016 that are capable of stellar performance with high mobility. Yes, I could get a much better desktop for that price, and no, it won't be top of the line for long. But it is what we require to meet our needs. As far as future proofing goes, I think the Razer Core, even with it's imposing cost, is a big step forward.

zaratustra89

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Why don´t you buy the stealth? (http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-stealth).Get the Razer core combo and you're good to go. Also MSI and Asus have their own version I think.
So, you know, mobility, battery life, looks awesome, will run absolutely everything,QHD, not as expensive as a heavy duty GLaptop, you can upgrade for quite a while to new graphics cards, not much of a downside I think.
:)

Samer1970

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

GTX 1080m and 1060m and 1070 m are coming soon ....

kareemk98

Commendable
May 3, 2016

They're being released at Gamescom which is happening this month from the 17th till the 21st. It is also predicted that ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE and Clevo may release their laptops that contain the gpus at the event as well.

Brian_99

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
Any chance laptops with a full desktop version (such as with sager or origin and so on) will be released then as well? I am primarily interested in a full 1070, or even a 1080 if they can make it work.