Solved! No audio or video from 4k Blu Ray player through receiver

Dec 26, 2018
I can't get 4k disks to play audio or video through the HDMI connection on my Yamaha RX-A3070 receiver with either my Sony or Samsung 4k HDR players. Have tried using different HDMI ports with no success. Cable, DirecTV and camera system all work fine on any receiver HDMI inputs but not the 4k players. Have restarted and replaced the 4k DVD players several times. They work fine when connected directly to the TV but not through the receiver. Receiver was also reset to factory settings with no success. Pls advise.

Solution
The technician that came out first ran a 50ft cable along the floor to verify if it was the cable or not and to see if the problem presented itself with the new cable in the same positions. After verifying the same issue with the new cable he moved the HDMI cable on the TV from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. Once he did this the audio and video from the HDR DVD player started working. I didn't think there was a difference between the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 inputs on the TV but evidently there is. System is now working great! Hope this is able to help someone else. My TV is a Sony XBR-85X850D OBTW.
Dec 26, 2018

I have not but intend to if unable to resolve soon. I forgot to mention I needed to add an HDMI coupler to make to cable long enough to reach the receiver. I'm going to find a way to remove it to see if that fixes the issue.
Thanks for the reply.

Dec 26, 2018

I am using the correct cables and firmware is up-to-date. I'll contact Yamaha if removing the coupler doesn't resolve the issue.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you can't have adapters/converters/extenders when troubleshooting things. First thing to do is have the most direct connection, can easily be the fact you are using an extender for the cable.

Dec 26, 2018
All, I did remove the couplers but it didn't solve the problem. I did discover that normal blu ray movies work ok. I forgot to mention before but all of the components are located in a media closet rack in back of the room and are connected to the TV by a 50 ft 4k ready HDMI cable. I'm thinking the long HDMI cable can't handle the increased 4k UHD data or are just too long. Any thoughts or suggestions? Should also note it didn't work when connected directly to the DVD player either when bypassing the receiver. Thx.

You may need to use some sort of HDMI extender, they make HDMI over ethernet extenders instead of using a too long of a cable. This is the model we use at my work for auditorium/conf room setups but I don't think they do 4k, there are others for 4k signals. You may need to test things on a normal 6/10 foot HDMI cable without all the extra long cords and adapters.
https://planetechusa.com/ihd-210pr-high-definition-hdmi-extender-receiver-over-ip-with-poe-digital-signage/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjZLhBRCAARIsAFHWpbGmdCeiCjUkgAgfh_gvz4I0PQMfgUBpX3YFh4sw2XTPa5iw8TMwYD4aAqamEALw_wcB

Dec 26, 2018

Thanks for the link; I'll look into it. I have the guys that installed all my wiring stopping by tomorrow and will ask them if they know of a product like this that can extend the connection.
Thanks again!

Jan 2, 2019

We are having the exact same issue. Did you get yours resolved?

Dec 26, 2018

The technician that came out first ran a 50ft cable along the floor to verify if it was the cable or not and to see if the problem presented itself with the new cable in the same positions. After verifying the same issue with the new cable he moved the HDMI cable on the TV from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. Once he did this the audio and video from the HDR DVD player started working. I didn't think there was a difference between the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 inputs on the TV but evidently there is. System is now working great! Hope this is able to help someone else. My TV is a Sony XBR-85X850D OBTW.

Dec 26, 2018

Solution
Dec 26, 2018

Your first post said you tried different HDMI ports already, so odd that him doing it fixed the issue.