Question No Audio Output after plugging Mic in Single Jack Laptop

Akram Sidena

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2013
I looked up the internet for quite some time now but I can't seem to find a solution to this apparently should-be-easy-to-solve problem.

I have a Laptop (Acer Aspire E527) that has only ONE audio jack (for headphones/sets).

When I plug in the mic, the mic works as it should, but there is no output audio because the laptop thinks I plugged some headset but it's just a mic.

Realtek Audio Panel has no option to consider the plugged device a microphone. It only has two options: Headset AND Speaker Out.

It's getting frustrating because I can't get my hands on a 3.5mm-to-USB adapter any time soon.

Please help.

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Looking on the Acer forums, that seems to be a ongoing issue with them. Under the Realtek Audio panel with your mic plugged in, does it show anything that says Microphone Array?

May 12, 2021
Your problem is that you are trying to use a single device on a jack designed for 2 devices. What you need is a splitter with a 3.5mm male end (it will have 3 black bands on it) which has 2 female inputs at the other end. Plug your microphone into the red connector there. You may get no audio out - realtek often doesn't differentiate between the headphone jack and the computer speakers. If that is the case you will need to get an external 3.5mm speaker to plug into the green female end.

HTH
Geoff