Solved! No sound with direct tv box over hdmi without several restates of tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I have a 3 year old samsung LCD tv connected to one of the newer direct tv boxes via hdmi. After 2 days the sound stopped working when I would turn on the tv. If I reward the tv about 3-5 times the sounds starts working without issue all day. Sometimes there's no video either. If I change input to another source sound and video work fine and when I switch back to directive input there is still no sound unless I restart the tv several times. Restarting the dvr does not give me sound only restarting the tv does. What could be my problem here?

Solution
1. the television is not communicating with the direct tv box
2. the direct tv box isnt listening to the tv

if you really want to know.. try a different box OR try the same box on a different tv (use the same connection method)

the only other advice..
try to 'packet sniff' the connection and see what device is failing the information.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
1. the television is not communicating with the direct tv box
2. the direct tv box isnt listening to the tv

if you really want to know.. try a different box OR try the same box on a different tv (use the same connection method)

the only other advice..
try to 'packet sniff' the connection and see what device is failing the information.

Solution

mrtired

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
You may need to update the firmware on your Samsung, or you may need a need a new mainboard in the Samsung.

Have you tried restarting the DTV box by the red button? In the setup screen, have you tried switching the audio track to "PCM"?

Status
Not open for further replies.