Notebook GPU crashes - Hdd partial data loss

Fabio_8

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hello there,

I wish to find an help out there for the issue I'm facing since my laptop Asus F3s series broke due to the graphic card Gpu burned due to factory evil production.

To summarize the issue, I was working on an Ableton Live project (already saved on the internal hdd - either - audio tracks + ableton project file) when few times I've got the blue screen of death forcing me to restart and recover the project closed improperly.
The BSOD was due to the high temperatures of the Gpu which forced the system closure to avoid overheating.

Then the laptop crashed definitely, I've tried to repair the Gpu but unfortunately, it's integrated in the MB so the best solution I've found was to get a new notebook and connect via SATA the old Seagate Hdd (which is fairly operative and properly readable.)

Please note I've accessed the hdd to seek the old projects from a Mac Osx in Read Only mode (Hdd is formatted Ntfs with partition A: WIN7 only, partition B: data files/directories).

The worst thing is that I cannot find the Folders in which I've saved the project I was working on when the old Notebook broke definitely.

Perhaps it took few months to figure out that I've lost that project, I haven't modified the Hdd or whatever.

So my questions are:

- is it possible that the death of the notebook has caused the entire project folder deletion BUT ALL THE REST OF THE HDD IS AS IT WAS?
And, since the C: partition is fully readable, containing the OS files and structures, could it be possible to find TEMP/Backup/Restore files/images/folders containing the missing files?

- is there any chance to recover such data if not deleted?

- what can I do to allow a index for searching files with the Finder?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Best

Fabio

Fabio_8

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hi there,

thanks for your quick feedback, very appreciated!

I've already connected the Hdd via Sata cable to a couple of machines (either Win/Mac), at first sight I've found it works properly but then I've figured out that more than 2 years works are missing.

Tried different searches, also folder by folder, already tried the option that shows all hidden files, no way to find anything within 2011 and december 2015 (most files are wav files - organized in specific folders).
Perhaps some files (including the system file) are dated Dec'15 (last change occured), which is around the date the laptop leaved me definitely.
At that time I've tried to repair the Gpu, and for a couple of weeks the notebook started the OS properly. But I was just trying to make the notebook resurrected without changes to files and contents.

I've not formatted the Hdd at any time so actually I wonder if it could be possible that an entire part of the Hdd had broke or it went corrupted?
Is there any possibility to check what happened?

Is it really necessary to try a Recovery sofware or something similar? Maybe dos or windows have applications to check the hdd history details?

Thanks again for your help!
Fabio