Number 4 key pressing on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2018
Hello. I'm having a really annoying problem. The number 4/right arrow key on my num pad continually presses on its own. I don't think it's physically stuck or anything like that. I've tried disabling the key with AutoHotKey and the issue still persists. This is on a laptop.

I would really appreciate some help. Trying to write is really infuriating because either my cursor keeps moving backwards or random number 4's interrupt everything, so I have to correct the text constantly.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 3, 2018
It's an Alienware R4 17. I don't really see dirt or anything like that. Sometimes the issue is not present and it works alright, sometimes it goes crazy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it happens sort of selectively. For example, right now it's going crazy on Youtube, rewinding every video that I try to watch. Sometimes if I try to write something on Facebook chat, it's impossible but if I try to write a URL address on my browser, it works okay. It's really strange. I've already run a full antivirus scan and malwarebytes scan and both came out clean. I really have no clue of what's going on.

Thanks for your answer!

Jul 3, 2018
I tried disabling the 4 key using AutoHotKey, but the problem persists. I mean, right now I'm having no issues, but it's incredibly unpredictable. That's the most annoying thing.

Aug 16, 2018
Same thing happened to me with the same model. I figured out that tobii eye tracker is causing it and a temporary fix is to stop the processes in task manager.

Jul 3, 2018
I disabled the eye tracker and it actually stopped. Wow, thanks a lot man. I guess now we have to wait for a permanent fix. Any idea if Dell is working on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 5, 2018
I'm having a similar problem with my MSI GL73 17" laptop. When I first boot, the number 4 key is stuck perpetually. If I do a hard reset .... (i.e., hold down the power button till it turns off - i know, bad thing to do but it's the only way to turn it off at that point) it comes on just fine. No issues whatsoever. Not sure what to do to get around this, as at this point, I'm going to permanently damage my drive with my hard reset, am I not?

I've blown out the keyboard and nothing seems to be stuck under there. AND it's only 2 months old :(

Dec 24, 2018
I'm having the same problem with my ASUS X541N laptop. I've tried cleaning it and even uninsralling and re-insralling the keyboards. The first time that it happened it was the left arrow and the number 4, whenever I num lock it it switches on pressing the left arrow and when i remove the num lock it keeps on pressing the number 4. It stopped for about a month. (i thought it's because of a virus) and now it did it again, but instead of the left arrow and number 4. It's the up arrow and number 9. I resetted my laptop and cleared all of the files but when I tried to put my info since it was resetted it kept doing it. Please help. I need to encode something for my studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.