Nvidia GTX 960m not working quite right.

Eilon_

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
Hey, so I have an ASUS ROG laptop, model GL551J. Got it about a year and a half ago. It's got the GTX 960m and an i7-4720 processor. For some reason, my fps is in the trash. A part of me has come to terms with it, and I was planning on saving up for a new PC. But the other day, I spoke to my friend who has the same GPU, and apparently where I run 40 fps on low-medium, he runs 80+ on high. I reset my computer to factory settings, nothing. Deleted all temp/junk files wit every recommended software, nothing. Nvidia Geforce experience says recommended settings on on high/ultra, but when I set it to that I get even less fps. Believe me, I've tried closing everything in the background, and all those little tricks. Nothing seems to do the job.
I would be highly appreciative if someone could kindly help me fix my problem, or even help me find a good cheap desktop build, but obviously best case scenario is somehow boosting my laptop.
Thanks.

Solution

He has the same GPU and CPU?

You said

I spoke to my friend who has the same GPU, and apparently where I run 40 fps on low-medium, he runs 80+ on high.

with the same game and EXACT same in game settings and monitor resolution and refresh rate?

How are your in game temps.? MSI Afterburner can tell you.

While the answer below doesn't address your current...

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
I have the 940m on one of my laptops, and I had to get older drivers. Ask your friend what drivers he has and get the same exact drivers off the nvidia website. The newest drivers are optimized for the high-end cards for the high-end games.

Eilon_

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016

Thanks for the advice, I definitely will do that.
BTW, how much fps do you usually get? Do you by any chance play overwatch?

aquielisunari

Distinguished

He has the same GPU and CPU?

You said

I spoke to my friend who has the same GPU, and apparently where I run 40 fps on low-medium, he runs 80+ on high.

with the same game and EXACT same in game settings and monitor resolution and refresh rate?

How are your in game temps.? MSI Afterburner can tell you.

While the answer below doesn't address your current possible issue I think it is good advice

Your card is far from bad, try turning down the render scale a bit, but also you can't expect your laptop to run overwatch at ultra settings, turn all of your settings down then go through and slowly increase settings until you reach a balance of framerate and quality you are happy with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4q1dd3/low_fps_with_nvidia_960m/

Solution

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016

Again, I had the 940m, so I did not play overwatch or anything that came after 2013. I now have the GTX 1060

Eilon_

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016