Old SSD Transferred Not Working

Dec 19, 2018
Sorry about posting this to the Laptop section. If I need to, I'll repost in the Desktop section. For now, however, I've had an old homebrew running Win10 Pro with an SSD that I'm swapping for a new HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0050. I am moving the SSD from the old system to the new without success. When I take out t he HD and plug in the SSD, I get the "no boot device found" error message. Replacing the HD and making the SSD as secondary drive seems to work, but booting from the HD only. UEFI doesn't give me the option to make the SSD the boot drive. Looking at the SSD in Disk Management I see two partitions. Neither one says boot in the properties. The main (larger) partition doesn't even show as the active partition.

Is there a way to place a recognizable boot record on the SSD? If so, which partition should it be; the smaller first partition, or the larger second partition?

Solution

You need to install the OS on the drive when it is in the system where it will live.
Not all this cloning and moving stuff.

Install it with only the SSD connected.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

USAFRet

Illustrious

Which drive is supposed to end up in which system?
Where will this OS supposed to end up?

Multiple issues here.

You apparently had both drives connected when you installed the OS on the SSD. Thus resulting in the boot partition residing on the HDD.

But, even if the original system was installed properly with only the SSD connected, there is a strong likelihood of it not booting up in the HP system.
Moving a drive like that usually results in complete fail.

Dec 19, 2018
The OS is supposed to end up on the SSD. I forgot to mention that I installed the old SSD and old HD in the new system so that the boot partition would be available, all to no avail. I'm thinking that your last comment is likely true, and I'll have to reinstall the original new HD, clone it to the SSD and try that. If it works, I'll reinstall ALL my programs :(.

If I clone the new HD to the SSD will I still need both drives to boot?

USAFRet

Illustrious

You need to install the OS on the drive when it is in the system where it will live.
Not all this cloning and moving stuff.

Install it with only the SSD connected.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution