Older DVD players/recorders and new Smart TVs Compatibility?

rajgopal

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
I have an old Sony combination DVD player, recorder and VHS tape player (yes - a VCR!!).
It does have component out jacks so I tried to connenct this to the component in of a new Samsung HD Smart TV I just bought. When I pick component as the source though, the TV says there's no signal. Is it the case that the two are just incompatible? I tired connecting a video out from the cable box (that's connected via HDMI to the TV) to the video in for the DVD/R (guess I would need that to record any signal) but that makes no difference either. Before I chuck my Sony into the reccycle bin, I figured I'd ask :)

Solution
In many combo units the component out is only for the DVD so if you tried it with a VHS then you would get nothing. See if you can get a menu up on the screen to check the connection.
Also check the TV to make sure that the component input is turned on. Some TVs share RCA jacks for component and composite and you have to select the right option in a menu.
In many combo units the component out is only for the DVD so if you tried it with a VHS then you would get nothing. See if you can get a menu up on the screen to check the connection.
Also check the TV to make sure that the component input is turned on. Some TVs share RCA jacks for component and composite and you have to select the right option in a menu.

Solution