One Monitor, Two Functions?

TeePee1970

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
I have a relatively large LCD Monitor in our guest room/office but want to also connect our digital cable box to it and be able to switch from using it as a PC monitor to guests being able to use it as a TV when visiting. Easiest, most economical way to accomplish would be appreciated! Thanks!

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
If it has more than one input (and most screens do), just connect the cable box and your computer to different inputs and switch between them from the monitor menu. Easy to do and costs nothing.
If, for some strange reason, there is only a single input, you can purchase an appropriate input switch from a place like monoprice and manually switch between the two sources.

TeePee1970

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Thank you. I will check on this when I get home. Hopefully it's that simple :). Also I have a sound bar that I think would improve the sound when it's used as a tv. Anything special to note about doing so?

Thanks!!

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

Adding the sound bar should be fairly straight forward. Most TVs have a few sound output ports. You may need an appropriate adapter cable. It may also be possible to plug it directly into the cable box.

Without knowing the outputs of the cable box and inputs on the monitor it's impossible to say how to connect them.
Plus is this cable box already in use somewhere? You can put a video splitter on it to route the signal to the monitor but you can't watch two different things on it. How far away is the monitor from the source? Need quite a bit more details in your question.