Oppo 103 requires 2 HDMI cables to work properly!

ascanio1

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Oppo 103 requires 2 HDMI cables to work properly!

My HT was setup with an HDMI cable from the BR player to the A/V and another HDMI from the A/V to the projector.

I then installed a new Oppo 103, with the same setup and even the very same HDMI cable. The Oppo did not work properly.

I wrote to Oppo to complain and they asked me to do a specific firmware update - this did not solve the problem. I asked for repair as it is still under warranty but Oppo's astonishing reply was:

"This is an issue with the receiver, not the player, that is causing you to have to remove the HDMI cable between the receiver and the display and route the player direct to the projector."

I replied that my receiver works perfectly with other all players (I even tested Media Players) and I insisted for the unit to be repaired.

Oppo finally accepted to inspect the device but refused to pay for shipping costs and instructed me to insure the delivery or they would not be responsible for damages or defects. Shipping an insured 400$ unit costs a bomb! Almost 100$!

Beware!

Oppo not only requires 2 HDMI cables to work properly but Oppo's warranty means that you either bring the device in for servicing by yourself or you pay for the shipping!

Did you try connecting the Oppo directly to the projector with the same cable that you use with the receiver as they suggested? This will tell you where the problem is. HDMI can be very tricky as not all manufacturers follow the standards exactly so that some combinations of equipment and cables can cause headaches. Your receiver may be at fault even though it works with other equipment. Sometimes you can do a firmware upgrade to the receiver to solve HDMI problems.
As for shipping costs every piece of electronic equipment which is to be serviced under warranty requires you to pay shipping one way.

ascanio1

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

- My Onkyo receiver works perfectly with ALL other BR/Media Players: I tested it with 3 other, recent, units. I tested it with the same cables and setup/layout, I tested it with a brand new HDMI cable... I even called Onkyo! It does not require any firmware upgrade.
- My HDMI cable too, works perfectly! It gives me no problems with other BR/Media players. I even tested that same cable on a friend's HT system.
- Yes, I did what Oppo suggested. I connected the Oppo to the display with one HDMI cable and the Oppo to the receiver with a second HDMI cable. With this setup the system works: this proves my point that Oppo's unit does not work as a normal Media Player. Oppo requires 2 HDMI cables to work normally and this is NOT the industry's standard.
- It is not the buyer's responsibility to shoulder the cost for shipping for a warranty covered device!
- I paid top dollars for that unit and I expect it to work.
- I even offered to deliver myself the device to their official Oppo Store and Oppo refused.
- Did Oppo design the 103 with a connection flaw? Yes! Did I paid the full price for that flawed unit? Yes! Did Oppo warn me that their unit did not work to Industry Standards? No! Why should I pay extra now, to fix something which I didn't break?

Oppo falsely represents that its 103 Player to be also a Media Player.
Oppo 103 is not a Media Player!

For Oppo 103 to work as a Media Player you must use 2 HDMI cables.

BEWARE! Oppo 103 has a design flaw.

I don't understand how you can condone a manufacturer request for the end user to pay for the shipping of a warranty covered, malfunctioning unit... Your reply is stragely apologetic towards Oppo...

I make no apologies for Oppo. Just stated industry standard for warranty service. Any piece of consumer electronic gear you buy does not include return shipping to the manufacturer for warranty repair. Your problem was an design flaw and they should have offered to take it back and refund your money. If you buy from a dealer and have an initial problem they would hopefully take care of you.
I appreciate your frustration and am not saying they were correct.

ascanio1

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I apologize for replying in an aggressive manner... I had a bad experience in another forum where my complaint was first quenched by senior members and then moved so that it would not be as visible and would not disturb the Oppo 103 review.

It is unacceptable that Oppo 103 is not compliant to the industry standard and that Oppo will not fix the issue within warranty or, at least, refund the price paid.

Oppo advertizes the 103 to be also a Media Player. The fact is that Oppo 103 is NOT industry compliant to work as a Media Player

TRENDING THREADS