Optical Output From Laptop

bwfc0907

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi

Is it possible to get optical output from the 3.5mm headphone jack of a Scan 3XS Laptop to enable DTS m my receiver if I connect my laptop to my TV?

I am aware I could get a USB external sound card but thought I'd try less hardware if possible.

Cheers

Solution

That will also work.

I just want to make sure you understand that the OriGen+ DAC is very similar in price to a good USB sound card, but the DAC is better than a sound card...

EDIT: Also, if you do end up purchasing a USB sound card, make sure that it does have an optical output.

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Both products I linked have Optical outputs. They will both work. The Micca OriGen+ is a great product and cannot be compared to a USB sound card or creative DAC. It is much better...studio level sound quality.

For details go here: https://www.miccatron.com/micca-origen-usb-audio-dac-and-preamp-2/

Or watch this:
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY7A6KgI3_w"][/video]

aligwashington

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

That will also work.

I just want to make sure you understand that the OriGen+ DAC is very similar in price to a good USB sound card, but the DAC is better than a sound card...

EDIT: Also, if you do end up purchasing a USB sound card, make sure that it does have an optical output.

Solution

captaincharisma

Distinguished

LOL wow dude it sounds like you either work for the company that makes this or have some serious stock options in it. USB sound card is the best option no matter how many times you spam the same product on this thread

Jester Maroc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

LOL! I wish! It is a good product which is why I feel confident recommending it.

How can you be confident that a USB sound card is better than a DAC (it does not have to be the Micca)?

Do you have experience with either? I do not see a sound card listed in your PC specs...

It might be beneficial for you to read up on what a DAC does.