Outlook 2010: How to move Hotmail OST???

Status
Not open for further replies.

webjockey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hi guys, just starting up with outlook for the first time. I have got my hotmail account configured in outlook 2010 using outlook connector and its working perfectly. I am using ssd and I have few email accounts, so I want to move OST file created for my hotmail account to my HDD. I have searched google but no success. any help would be much appreciated.

Methods already tried: moved the file to d drive, also did the registry hack and after moving the file I dont get any error in outlook: like to find the ost, instead it just starts creating the ost in default location again.

Thanks in advance

Moving the OST

Luckily, it's not to difficult to move the OST from the default location to anywhere you want it

Go into Tools | Account Settings
[A] On the Data Files tab select the data file for the account
Turn off "Cached mode" on the "advanced" tab
[C] Disable "Offline use" on the "offline folder" settings popup
And then.... you can move the .ost (in Explorer) and reference the new location to have Outlook work with it
When you've finished don't forget to re-enable "Offline use" and turn "Cached mode" back on - otherwise you'll only be able to work when connected to the remote server

When you have finished this process Outlook may spend a moment re-synchronising your local data with the server, but if you have moved and used a recent OST then the process will be no longer than a normal send/receive.

webjockey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

hydroment

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

Have you figured this out? I tried to relocate it as well with no success. The next best thing is to create a new .PST file named something to do with your hotmail account (or whatever is meaningful to you). In the hotmail .OST inbox setup rules to automatically move the incoming mail to the permanent .PST on you HD.

This is a good thing to accomplish for those of us with a nearly filled primary HD. MS really needs to address this issue. I say thank you to them for the account etc, but to compete with others...

bertiewooster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I found a solution using a donation-only bit of software called Junctionmaster - http://www.bitsum.com/moveandlink.php

Just install it and link the default Outlook folder (C:\Users\Your Account Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook) containing your master OST hotmail file to whichever folder you choose. The two are linked inseparably, so Outlook never knows the difference.

AntGut

Honorable
May 30, 2012
1) I agree that its a pain that you can't specify a non-default location for the hotmail OST. Something silly that should be fairly easy to "fix" if it was high enough on the priority list. (I know the drill, I worked at MS long ago).
2) Not sure why you would pay for a feature already present in your operating system. With a little fiddling around, you'd come to this:
-- Close Outlook.
-- Copy your hotmail OST to where you want it, for example,
-- From C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\MyAccount_HotMail.ost
-- To: D:\MyStuff\Email\MyAccount_HotMail.ost
-- Rename the original hotmail OST to MyAccount_HotMail-BackUp.ost, just in case :)
-- Open a command prompt.
-- cd C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
-- mklink MyAccount_HotMail.ost D:\MyStuff\Email\MyAccount_HotMail.ost
-- Start Outlook
-- The file on the D drive is now the "live" OST. Check modify time of the file to verify.
-- Move on to the next issue ;)

Hope that helps...

AntGut

Status
Not open for further replies.