Overclocking the GTX 980m?

SeanK3

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
I have the Asus G751JY 980m, G-sync version. I was just wondering if I would be able to overclock this laptops gpu by 10% or 5% safely? Is it possible? And how? I do understand this laptop has excellent cooling but I am also concerned for the safety of the laptop, Thanks!

calinpuscas

Estimable
Jan 4, 2015

First of all, why you wanna do that? any game on the market right now is playable on your ROG... only if you want to try, let's say, GTA V Pinnacle Mod with those crazy extreme depth of fields renderings (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPFGSHZ5FE) maybe you'll have to think to change your laptop with a gaming desktop, because it's about the main processor and not about the video card... just my opinion :)

calinpuscas

Estimable
Jan 4, 2015

First of all, why you wanna do that? any game on the market right now is playable on your ROG... only if you want to try, let's say, GTA V Pinnacle Mod with those crazy extreme depth of fields renderings (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPFGSHZ5FE) maybe you'll have to think to change your laptop with a gaming desktop, because it's about the main processor and not about the video card... just my opinion :)

UKRsoldier

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
Late answer, but yes, yes you can. I have the same exact laptop as you and I used MSI Afterburner to overclock it by 135 base clock/300 memory. Frame rates went up by about 5fps on average. No extra heat issues. Completely safe.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop General Discussion 18
V Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 2
B Laptop General Discussion 2
W Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 4
S Laptop General Discussion 2
B Laptop General Discussion 4
U Laptop General Discussion 2
Y Laptop General Discussion 2