wigwom82

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Having trouble with Windows 10 and my HP Pavilion dv5-1000us. I had both Windows 7 and Linux Mint on this laptop and it worked with no problem. I just tried installing Windows 10 on it and when it finished installing and restarted to complete the install, it got to the HP logo startup screen, where you can press Esc. for more options, and just freezes there. I also decided to take the hard drive out to see if it would start without freezing, which worked without any issues. I then decided to put the hard drive in a docking station and run it from there, which also worked, loading Windows 10 with no issues.

If you need anymore information, just let me know and I'll be sure to get it to you as soon as I can.

wigwom82

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

Don't think that's the issues because it boots Linux Mint and Windows 7 with no problem. Only when I tried to install Windows 10 does it freeze up on startup logo. It did boot up with Windows 10 on the docking station.

wigwom82

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, it boots linux without any trouble, as long as linux is on another hard drive. Also, after I deleted the partition that windows 10 made when it installed on the hard drive it would not freeze up and I was able to install another OS on that hard drive without any issues.

wigwom82

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

You know when your working on something for a while and just can't seem to figure out how to fix it, then someone comes along and gives you a simple solution to your problem and you just sit there, looking at them, and facepalm yourself at the simplicity of the solution.... That's what happen to me when you suggested updating the bios. Once I did that, the Windows 10 hard drive loaded with no issues. I deeply appreciate the help that you have given me the pass couple of days. Hope your having a great weekend.