PC Headphone Jack Failure; only plays sound on one ear

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRandomGuy7

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hello,

I am having a problem with my PC that I built last year.

Basically, sound started playing only down the left ear on my headset while I used it with my PC. I tried all the obvious stuff, like unplugging and plugging the headset back in, making sure all connections and wires were fine etc.

But sound still only played on the left ear. I assumed it was the headset, but tried with some earphones too.

The sound only came through one ear with the earphones too, so it must be a problem with the PC's headphone jack itself.

What can I do to solve this? Preferably without changing any parts of the PC; it otherwise works like a charm.

Thanks a lot for any advice, this is a very tedious problem!

CJb_432

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
is this plugged into the front of your case? if so, you might want to check your front panel connectors from your case to the mobo. A wire could have fallen out because they are so small you probably didn't notice. Check your motherboard manual for which connectors go where. Good luck!! :)

boju

Distinguished
Try both earphones and headset on your tv or other means with an audio jack just to make sure either do not share the same fault. Headphones can lose one side if the wire was ever tugged previously, it does happen.

What motherboard is it? there any other jacks you can try, like rears/center? any front audio panel on the case you can try to rule out software and determine hardware defect?

Try blowing air in the audio jack, hoping its as simple.

Check the audio volume also its not one sided.

If not all the above, looks like the solder joint under the audio module consolidating stereo has faulted, probably cracked :(

dalaran

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Also make sure you didn't set the balance fully to the right or left channel in case it's a software issue (unlikely but you never know! some softwares allow this, and some drivers also allows this to be changed)

If you have more than one audio connector (one in front, and one in the back) try them both

TheRandomGuy7

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

The headphone jack is in the front of the case. It doesn't look like any wires have fallen out I'm afraid.

Both headset and headphones work fine plugged into the monitor. Both still fail to work in the PC's jack.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. I don't see any other audio jacks.

Blowing air inside does not help.

Nope, it's nothing to do with the volume software settings. Sound occasionally plays in both ears, but briefly and static - sounding. This leads me to believe it is definitely the hardware.

So it's probably the joint itself that has faulted. After all, I did plug and unplug the headphones a lot, this may have worn it down. What can I do now then?

As I said to the boju, who also suggested that, it is certainly nothing to do with the settings or software unfortunately.

And no other audio connectors, although the test in the monitor worked.

Any advice anyone?

boju

Distinguished
The 3 rear audio jacks for mic, line out, and speakers (green) see if you can change through realtek's HD Audio software to change either of the other two jacks as speaker outs.

Not sure if this arrangement is possible for the rear audio jacks or is only meant for front panel audio, i know Realtek can change those but worth a shot.

If not, possibly purchasing an added front panel audio device might be an option for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999236

Something like this for 25$, if you have a spare slot front of your case, will have an audio wire to connect to the motherboard's HD Audio pins.

If the rear audio jack is just worn out, the onboard HD Audio is essentially the same, just acquiring sound elsewhere from the motherboard.

If you twist or wiggle the headphone pin, does anything change? just curious.

RaDic TargeT

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
I was having same problem. Try to go Start - Control panel - Hardware and Sound - At Sound take Adjust system volume - press on your headphone icon - Levels - Balance - Change on Maximum both sides, Close it. And change your volume on your comfortable volume sound by pressing the button at the clock.

Psyche Chakra

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
@RaDic TargeT

Thanks man,, You solved my issue.. Thank you so much...
Just signed up to say thanks..
Kudos to u man!!

Robert_178

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

I don't know if this will help you but how i fixed mine was that i plugged my headset into my headphones slot and put the device as my headphones then I put in my webcam (which was a logitech forgot the exact brand) and for some reason the webcam would use my headset's mic and not my webcam so that fixed my problem. As i said i don't know if this will help you or it was a unique case for me

Status
Not open for further replies.