Pendaz

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
I've recent aquired a chromecast from a friend (he had 2 and gave me one :)) i have a lot of movies/tv shows on my computer and would like an easy way to stream this to my TV

So far i've tried two media servers: Plex Media Server and Serviio.

With both of these i can stream via DLNA apps on my phone/tablet, but when i attempt to stream to my TV i get video but no sound - this happens with almost all videos i've tested

I'm up for trying other server software/streaming apps but i'm reluctant to buy any new hardware to achieve this.

Can anyone recommend some software that might help me achieve this?

-Thanks

I use Plex and have had no problems streaming to my TV. I did have to tinker with a lot of settings before I got it working the way I wanted.

VLC is going to get Chromecast support some time in the future which is something to look forward to. In the meantime though, you can try to use the Chrome browser itself to stream. Open up your browser, press CTRL-O, select your media and then cast the tab that is playing it. I've never had to do it like that, but it should work.

Pendaz

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion, but i'm looking for a solution that doesn't require using the PC for anything other than hosting the files - IE - GF would be able to select which media she wants to watch on the TV without having to use the PC.

I have a couple of apps on my phone which claim to do this (Avia/Localcast/Nas Cast) but as i said in OP i'm having issues with the audio

TRENDING THREADS