PC - Satellite P105-S6064- won't boot; Power Light flashes once but Optical Drive light flickers endlessly.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2017
Hello. I recently changed my HDD (over a month though) and it has been doing just fine, off course there would be this issue and that. But the focus of my post is a recent problem I encountered while surfing the net and browsing some files: the Optical Drive gave a sound and upon checking, only 'C:/', 'DVD RW DRIVE (D:/)' were present and 'CD Drive (E:/)' was missing (all of this, though there wasn't a disc inside the drive was baffling); PC suddenly turned blue with some white-black horizontal lines moving up, just like on an unset TV; it continued until I force-shutdown the thing and after some seconds when I tried to power it on, the power light flashed once and was off again but the optical drive kept flickering as it does when a DVD/CD is inserted.
I checked the HDD and RAM to see if it they were hot, but warmth degree was negligible-the RAM was even less- then next I checked the screen cable but found it connected. After fixing everything back and pressing the power key, the PC was on again?!
Session was lost but it was working again. This morning upon pressing the power key again I was able to work on my computer until it repeated the blue-screen.... I can't remember if I forced it to shutdown, but I was able to use it after some minutes.
Note: The blue screen wasn't a BSOD as it was purplish and not purely blue, and darker too.
-The missing 'CD Drive E:/' occasionally presented itself when I checked 'Computer' and Optical Drive light would flicker, but this is the time everything would stop.
-After turning on the PC, 'Opera' browser as I was using it, would 'glow' the desktop wallpaper as if it was set in transparency mode for short milliseconds and after about 5secs. would be back to normal.
-I have recently installed Puppy Linux (Slacko 6.3._) as a backup OS after checking it using a Live USB, so I could retrieve my files in case anything goes wrong with Windows. It might not be the problem, but I think its worth noting. And there's also a free 1022 or 1024 MB if free partition left after installing Puppy.
-I use Plop boot manager.
-RAM= 2GB.
-HDD= 500GB.
-Its a Windows 7, x32 bit PC.
HOPE THE DETAILS WOULD BE INFORMATIVE ENOUGH TO TROUBLESHOOT THE COMPUTER.

Solution
Only way to know for sure is swap out parts. Most shops have battery, HD, CD drive, spare power cord, memory, monitor to test. If none of those fix the problem then they know its the motherboard needing replacement.
Jun 6, 2017
Alright; fixed old HDD in; booted into mini XP but there wasn't HBCD menu or any utility I could make use of but the 'Check Disk' on Start Menu; ran 'till battery got low' cause ther wasn't anything indicating its level and when battery light started blinking, I stopped the scan and shutdown (unforced, this time). But after it was off, same old blinking of Optical Drive light resurfaced along with sound I cannot locate; I removed the battery as I always did and waited.
I've recharged it now and am using UBCD's 'Estool'to scan my old HDD - its a samsung, by the way- and will report when its over or somethings breaks upon the process.
Do you by any chance know why a battery would keep getting drained by a turned-off PC? This is why I always remove the battery after shutdown; it keeps getting drained till it reaches 0%; PC accumulating heat as it [the battery] drains.

Jun 6, 2017
Fixed new HDD back: HBCD still not found, is it because I ibstalled it this time with 'XBOOT Multiboot'?
Running Data Lifeguard Diagnostics version 5.27 (new HDD is a WD 'Western Digital'). Hope all gets fixed, or I at least discover the problem/issue bugging me eversince.

elbert

Distinguished
Its not going to help. With both drives crashing your problem is probably a bad motherboard connection or data cable from the HD. Its probably the reason your CD drive is also not working. Remove the drives and just use the USB hiren for a while.

elbert

Distinguished

That menu does but you can click the shortcut to bring it back.

Jun 6, 2017

It did before, when I first installed it; on the start menu, etc. It disappeared after reinstalling using XBoot.
I deleted all files in the drive first and then installed (using XBoot) Hiren's; Puppy Linux slacko 6.3.0; UBCD and a copy of my Windows Repair. I say a copy because it does nothing, has to be alone on a CD/DVD/USB medium to work, perhaps.

elbert

Distinguished
I have a 500GB USB which I made a 128GB fat32 to install ubuntu. I moded the menu to access grub4dos and have about 10 utilities in each section. I think to do this I had to get the newest verison of grub4dos. Also I dont think Xboot has been updated in a good while maybe why its not work with newer versions of Hiren. Now you can try to get the latest Syslinux and Grub4dos bootloader versions may get you going. You may have to also try super grub or super grub2.

You could also try Yumi to get them all working together.
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Jun 6, 2017

That's why I kept a standalone drive for it.
So 'bout the PC what's the real problem behind everything all this long?

Jun 6, 2017
I had an idea to recheck things up, so I can report: but everytime I press the power button, the power light just blinks once and nothing again; I continued once in a while until ut booted into Windows, and I had the liberty of copying a link to download a '.Net Framework'; it went off by utself and I couldn't get it in again. I tried my live USB and it didn't work, and so I removed the HDD; results were same without the HDD too; I cannot boot without it, even using the Live USB.

elbert

Distinguished
If its happening even with the USB you probably have hardware failer. I would guess the motherboard has solder issues with parts getting lose. The solder could also be getting bad causing issues with eletrical pass though. You could try taking the motherboard out and look it over for melted or burnt parts. Also check the solder to see if its bad.
tools_Header_Joints.jpg

Could be some of the parts on the motherboard like bulging capacitor or SMD.

Jun 6, 2017

I do not think its anything if the sort, though I'm not sure about the CPU (top on the image) and heatsink (bottom);
wi0gph.jpg

I also broke part of some tiny metal piece while fixing back the Motherboard: 'PAD 5'. Hope its not a problem;
hvvw1y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.