PC - Satellite P105-S6064- won't boot; Power Light flashes once but Optical Drive light flickers endlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2017
Hello. I recently changed my HDD (over a month though) and it has been doing just fine, off course there would be this issue and that. But the focus of my post is a recent problem I encountered while surfing the net and browsing some files: the Optical Drive gave a sound and upon checking, only 'C:/', 'DVD RW DRIVE (D:/)' were present and 'CD Drive (E:/)' was missing (all of this, though there wasn't a disc inside the drive was baffling); PC suddenly turned blue with some white-black horizontal lines moving up, just like on an unset TV; it continued until I force-shutdown the thing and after some seconds when I tried to power it on, the power light flashed once and was off again but the optical drive kept flickering as it does when a DVD/CD is inserted.
I checked the HDD and RAM to see if it they were hot, but warmth degree was negligible-the RAM was even less- then next I checked the screen cable but found it connected. After fixing everything back and pressing the power key, the PC was on again?!
Session was lost but it was working again. This morning upon pressing the power key again I was able to work on my computer until it repeated the blue-screen.... I can't remember if I forced it to shutdown, but I was able to use it after some minutes.
Note: The blue screen wasn't a BSOD as it was purplish and not purely blue, and darker too.
-The missing 'CD Drive E:/' occasionally presented itself when I checked 'Computer' and Optical Drive light would flicker, but this is the time everything would stop.
-After turning on the PC, 'Opera' browser as I was using it, would 'glow' the desktop wallpaper as if it was set in transparency mode for short milliseconds and after about 5secs. would be back to normal.
-I have recently installed Puppy Linux (Slacko 6.3._) as a backup OS after checking it using a Live USB, so I could retrieve my files in case anything goes wrong with Windows. It might not be the problem, but I think its worth noting. And there's also a free 1022 or 1024 MB if free partition left after installing Puppy.
-I use Plop boot manager.
-RAM= 2GB.
-HDD= 500GB.
-Its a Windows 7, x32 bit PC.
HOPE THE DETAILS WOULD BE INFORMATIVE ENOUGH TO TROUBLESHOOT THE COMPUTER.

Solution
Only way to know for sure is swap out parts. Most shops have battery, HD, CD drive, spare power cord, memory, monitor to test. If none of those fix the problem then they know its the motherboard needing replacement.
Jun 6, 2017
I really need help. This morning, I was using it until the blue screen showed up; I waited until the HDD light wasn't blinking and then force shutdown, but when I started it again after removing the optical drive, it booted until it got logged in and it just went off.
-Perhaps Optical drive isn't the problem but it makes a sound (and the light on it gets on, for say, 3-7 seconds) whenever the condition sets in and keeps blinking even when the PC is off.
-I also noticed that the HDD is active, because I hear its spinning. And its light would also blink about 3 times, all when the PC is OFF!

elbert

Distinguished
CD drives on that model sometimes get lose and needs tighted up. Try uninstalling the CD drive by removing the screw that holds it in place and pull the drive out of the SATA connections. Push it back in and while holding a little force on the drive to keep it in the SATA connection tighten the screw. Test and see if it helps.

Some models have an issue that the CD drive has to work else the system doesn't. Possible an old OEM way to make more money.

Jun 6, 2017
Maybe that's why when I removed the drive, the laptop shut down again after booting (to Windows), repeating the same chain of problems. But after re-installing, there wasn't any change. I even pushed the drive while switching on Windows but all was the same

elbert

Distinguished
Thats the thing about OEM's they force you replace the device when you could just leave it out. Sounds like the CD drive is bad. Check your hard drive to make sure its not causing a bad SATA connection. Like the CD pull it out and put it back in.

Jun 6, 2017
Done. All the same. But don't you think the problem is with any of the components? Perhaps the RAM or CPU. I mean it could at least load the BIOS.
I strongly believe the Motherboard is behind it all, and nothing else - including peripherals- attached to it.

Jun 6, 2017
I decided to disassemble the Laptop and I tried reseating everything I could, such as the CPU, RAM, HDD, Heat sink, Wireless Network Adapter, etc & RESET THE CMOS BATTERY.
After assembling everything back and putting the battery in...; The PC boot into Windows and I was able to export some files to my phone.

The problem still remains that the 'CD Drive E:' is missing and I presume the trouble has not ended yet. I need advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.