Pc to tv info!!!!

punk2trunk

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hello,
I have a Panasonic plasma 46" 720p
model TC-P46X3 I have tried VGA to HDMI cable and VGA to Component cables in order to view my VGA PC laptop on this tv. I have changed the settings and input settings. I thinking I need to buy a VGA ti HDNI converter box. I also here that thises tv's are a little finicky when it comes to this converters. Is ther a specific model that anyone can suggest that will work with Panasonic Plasma non VGA models???
Thanks Tom

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
youre correct, you need a converter box. vga is an analog signal, while hdmi and component are digital.

what type of pc are you running from? laptop, desktop? would it me cheaper to get a small gfx card with hdmi/dvi?

nukemaster

Distinguished

Component is NOT digital at all. Simply put, VGA -> Component adapters require a supported card. Same thing goes with VGA -> S-video or composite. Not any cards on the market now days that have this.

The HDMI -> VGA is for running again from a card supporting analog from HDMI(DVI was an analog and digital system that HDMI was later based on) to VGA. You will have a very hard time with this as well(never even seen a device that did work like this).

You may be able to get away with either a cheap video card as listed above or one of those USB -> DVI/HDMI cards, but those have a performance loss(should be fine for video, but not recommended for any gaming.)

You do need a converter box, but note that if you want to watch bluray or other content protected video, that you will most likely run into issues.

EDIT. not sure why this did not cross my mind, but do you have DVI? DVI converts to HDMI without anything but a cable. You loose sound, but at least you get picture. Sound will have to be connected to your stereo or if the tv has a line in for it.