Photo recovery from SD card. please help

poonw

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
I have taken some photos using my camera and saved them using a SD card. Now I tried to view them by inserting the SD card into my computer. Some of them are ok but some cannot be opened!! It says 'window viewer does not support this format' but the files are jpeg!! please help! Is there a way to recover the photos? Thanks from Warren

Solution
When an application supports the picture type but it can't open some of them, it's a sign that those pics are corrupted, which in turn is a sign that card is ready for replacing before it fails altogether, and you'll be very annoyed when that happens if it's the only one you have.

Corrupt photos can't be fixed, but to avoid it happening in future, throw that card away and buy a couple of new ones so you have a spare.

File recovery apps like "Recuva" won't fix corrupt files at all, it just helps you recover files which have been accidentally deleted. And as for "jpeg" as opposed to "jpg", Windows XP & later can recognise both, so changing that won't help either.
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Stop using this card because you do not want to overwrite new files over old files.

Try using 'RECUVA' to retrieve your files. Another program to try is '4card recovery'.

In some similar instances I have had good luck by altering the ".jpeg" file extension to ".jpg" - this worked for me. Do this by renaming the file.

Let us know the results.

When an application supports the picture type but it can't open some of them, it's a sign that those pics are corrupted, which in turn is a sign that card is ready for replacing before it fails altogether, and you'll be very annoyed when that happens if it's the only one you have.

Corrupt photos can't be fixed, but to avoid it happening in future, throw that card away and buy a couple of new ones so you have a spare.

File recovery apps like "Recuva" won't fix corrupt files at all, it just helps you recover files which have been accidentally deleted. And as for "jpeg" as opposed to "jpg", Windows XP & later can recognise both, so changing that won't help either.

Solution