Pioneer VSX 520, No Audio with all 3 HDMI inputs, please help

Jul 28, 2018
Recently I am not getting Audio signal from all HDMI (BD, DVD, TV/SAT) inputs. Only Video is displayed on TV screen. I checked all the cables and tried Main unit reset also. I also tried audio signal selector and phase selector. Nothing helped. Actually it was working fine before. Only in the recent days I am having this problem. It might be a “Handshake” Issue, but I don’t know how to resolve this. Can anyone help Please?

Solution

Your receiver was probably one of the early adopters of HDMI technology. It took a while for it to catch on and the demand for the easy, digital way to hook things up and interact with the processors took off. Mass-produced quickly and cheaply, they became part of the most budget receivers, as well as flagship models. As a consequence of such mass production and heat inside the units over time, the circuit boards supporting the hardware didn't hold up and failed before the main units. Dry joints, light-duty capacitors and...
Do you get sound from the FM tuner in the receiver? If not then it's not an HDMI problem.
Make sure that HDMI is selected as the audio source in the input set up menu of the receiver.
You wouldn't get a picture if there was a handshake issue.
A problem with the HDMI switching in the receiver can cause audio to not work.

Jul 28, 2018
Yes. I am getting audio from FM and if I choose RCA input (A) as the signal source I get audio. Problem is only with the HDMI inputs. If I choose H I get only some noise intermittently. Video is working.

MsJazz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014

Your receiver was probably one of the early adopters of HDMI technology. It took a while for it to catch on and the demand for the easy, digital way to hook things up and interact with the processors took off. Mass-produced quickly and cheaply, they became part of the most budget receivers, as well as flagship models. As a consequence of such mass production and heat inside the units over time, the circuit boards supporting the hardware didn't hold up and failed before the main units. Dry joints, light-duty capacitors and brittle metal connections are often the culprit. From the information you provided, your receiver's HDMI board is starting to go and will eventually need to be replaced. In the meantime, you can probably use the optical digital audio inputs to connect with the DSP and access the surround features of the receiver. While not as "modern" or aesthetically pleasing, it will achieve the same function.

Solution