Pixel 3xl video mic issues

strawberries

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
My Pixel 3xl worked fine for a month, but about a week ago the video/top microphone went bad. Everytime I record video or try to video chat, it sounds like I'm standing next to a jet engine... loud static that drowns out everything. It needs to be RMAed, but I'm outside the US and need some solutions in the meantime.

I got an external mic and that works fine for recording videos, but when I try to video chat on Skype or Whatsapp, I can't hear anything because the speakers go silent as if I am using headphones, which I'm not, just a mic. So basically when I video call someone, I have to choose between being heard or hearing them. I've been having to use my old phone.

Are there any apps or hidden settings that will let me choose the bottom mic for all sound input in Skype/WhatsApp? Or some way for my phone to recognize an external mic as just a mic, and not cut out the speakers?

I downloaded OpenCamera which is good for recording videos using the phone's default mic, but doesn't help with video chatting.

Thanks.

If it is that new of a device, then you should contact the manufacturer about it. They can either repair or replace it then as it should be under warranty. Yes I saw you said you are elsewhere at the moment, just don't wait to long to do this, you don't want the warranty to run out.

I know of no way to input a mic only and not have it cut out the sound output. Phones really aren't set up like that. You may want to consider, until you can get it repaired/replaced getting either a headset (which has both mic and headphones) or get a splitter where you can connect a microphone into one connection and either headphones or speakers to the other.

strawberries

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I did contact Google support and they would exchange it, but being overseas complicates matters quite a bit. I can send it to family in the US and have them exchange it, but if they send it to me, there's a good chance I'll run into trouble with customs/the local post office.

They could keep it until I return, but that means I will have to use my old phone for months.

Thank you for the suggestions. Perhaps a splitter would be the best option. I have little experience with Bluetooth, but would it be possible to use the external mic and Bluetooth speakers?

This is a lot of work for a new phone.

Hmm.. with a Bluetooth microphone alone, it would be the same problem. However you might be able to use a Bluetooth that is both speaker (earphone) and mic.

Agreed, hence my saying to contact the manufacturer. Especially since it is new. The longer one waits the more they could claim it is something else and not cover it, or wind up out of warranty. I would try contacting them again, talk to a supervisor if need be. You may be able to get them to do the work now, or allow you to be sent a replacement phone and then you send them back the problem one.