Popup window from tag.imonomy.com trying to load preload.js

Joshua Searls

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
I'm running Windows 10 and a popup keeps asking me to save or run a file with the name: preload.js and it says it's from tag.imonomy.com

I have Windows Defender and Malware Bytes running but they haven't found anything.

Solution
Flash does nothing for Firefox 45 and onwards. I Googled for imonomy and on the face of it, it's a respected utility. Take a look and see what you think.

Joshua Searls

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015

I'm using Firefox and Ublock Origin. I just haven't found where this is coming from so I can stop it. The only thing I can think of is it's coming from Java somewhere. I don't allow Flash to run in my browser at all.

Joshua Searls

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015

Thank you for taking the time out to help. I've run scans and it looks like all trace of it has disappeared. I updated all the plugins and it hasn't popped up since.

Allen_Kitchell

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I too have just noticed this tag.imonomy.com preload.js Javascript script program pop up on my system. I am running Firefox browser, Windows 7, I have avast free antivirus, AdBlock+, and occasionally run spybot S&D and or Malwarebytes if I feel I have an issue with something that should not be making it's way into my system such as this invasive program.
I don't care what anyone says about imonomy being a reputable entity they are trying to invade my system, attempting to install god knows what with their preload.js, which is a javascript script, which could do a lot of harm depending on the payload. I can only speak for myself, but on my system they have not been invited, not directly, nor indirectly as a third party software, the type usually delivered with free downloads, so with that said, how can anyone say they seem like a reputable entity. They have not been invited onto my system, yet they are trying to invade by sending a javascript preload in hopes that I or others would allow it to run, this in itself makes them no good in my book, and leaves this issue far from solved.

Allen_Kitchell

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Saga Lout I have located and wish to share the fix for this preloadjs_from_tagimonomy.com, thanks to a reddit thread found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/4n9e4l/popup_titled_preloadjs_from_tagimonomycom_keeps/

To rid yourself of the preload.js from tag.imonomy.com which by the way is a rootkit, do the following:
1)click: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/ install and run Adwcleaner v5.200.
2) after scancompletes, click registry tab, if 4 keys are listed in that tab you have captured it.
3) click "clean"
4) optional, print off a log file, optional, uninstall adwcleaner
5) reboot your computer.
6)have a great day knowing you won this skirmish against the enemy.